Feral's Linux Team Lead Is Leaving The Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post

The problem is support, unless there is official support in Wine and the game for users of Wine, issues could still arise (example: Paladins).
    I meant Android native titles compiled for ARC64 and Vulkan, not via Wine. Also if some library is missing from the Java only accused Android, can be provided by the game it self.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

I meant Android native titles compiled for ARC64 and Vulkan, not via Wine. Also if some library is missing from the Java only accused Android, can be provided by the game it self.
      I wasn't talking about Android, just about how you said Feral would become irrelevant, while I don't think it's that easy yet.
      Improper quote, my bad!

Comment

Feral is doing a good service to the Linux community.

I hope though that we can continually improve the porting methodology and get to a point where we no longer incur a performance loss vs windows.

For a long time it was poor drivers holding us back, finally now we have good graphics drivers.

But we still incur 20% performance hit due to the porting frameworks used, unlike the devs who do true cross platform development from the get go.

Comment

If he keep beeing as involved as TTimo has been in the Linux gaming since he left is, it would still be great for the community.

Comment

I find that with VKD3D, DXVK +D3D10_patch and VK9 +D3D8_patch, will find Feral obsolete for Linux by the end of 2019.
            I don't support Wirows anymore in any way.

Comment

I find that with VKD3D, DXVK +D3D10_patch and VK9 +D3D8_patch, will find Feral obsolete for Linux by the end of 2019. So i propose a shift to remake games for Android and fast chipsets like Snapdragon 820-845. I don't believe in the x86_to_ARC Emulator, it's better to have access to the source and compile for ARC and target Vulkan as well.
              The problem with compatibility layers like that is that they're never going to offer the kind of support a proper port will nor will they offer the same kind of performance. No matter how you try to spin it, they are a stopgap on the way to getting proper developer support for desktop OSs other than Windows and it's never wise to be satisfied with a stopgap.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

The problem with compatibility layers like that is that they're never going to offer the kind of support a proper port will nor will they offer the same kind of performance. No matter how you try to spin it, they are a stopgap on the way to getting proper developer support for desktop OSs other than Windows and it's never wise to be satisfied with a stopgap.
                This is not entirely true. First of all, many ports use wrappers which are more or less glorified WINE-like layers. Those do have a performance hit relative to the windows version.

Second, in some cases DXVK can work faster/better than a native port. For example:

NOTE 5% perf drop due recordingwine-staging 3.5dxvk 8dfe708no winetricksSame settings used on both. As you can see Native version looks pretty bad visually. ...

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

iD stopped porting any of its games to Linux at that point, since that guy (TTimo, a.k.a. Timothee Besset) was the only one doing the ports (to my knowledge) and it was a bit of a personal project of his that iD was ok with while he was an employee. I believe the timing also somewhat coincided with iD being bought out by ZeniMax/Bethesda, so that might have had something to do with the change in porting strategies as well.
                  But Feral has more than one person porting games to Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    id had one unofficial linux guy, feral has linux team, one lowest level manager is leaving, that is not an issue, as long as devs stay, someone else will replace him
                    Exactly. And someone else has already replaced him, btw, else he wouldn't have written that the devs are in capable hands.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

This is not entirely true. First of all, many ports use wrappers which are more or less glorified WINE-like layers. Those do have a performance hit relative to the windows version.

Second, in some cases DXVK can work faster/better than a native port. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRSSuJtafRg
                      So what? Anybody in this forum still buys Virows only games?

Comment

Working...
                      X