Google Makes Linux Apps On Chrome OS Official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post

All that aside (and more on topic): Is this truely a Virtual Machine running the desktop Linux apps? Or is it more of a container like docker (or Anbox) - a VM seems like overkill with a lot of overhead when you could probably do it all with a containerised approach
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Brilliant.

An OS that runs on top of the Linux Kernel, running a Linux VM so that it can run basic Linux apps.

What will the incredible minds at Google think of next? A java virtual machine for smart phones?
    Docker, is considered a VM, and is often referred to as Docker VM. I think what Google has here is more a VM like a container, than a full blown VM with a separate virtualized kernel. The Linux apps will utilize the same kernel, but are containered/separated from ChromeOS.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
      I
      Niche? https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...se_tumbleweed/ Guess what Amd is niche next card will be nvidia! Amd zero support...
      If you are an Nvidia fan, you will enjoy these videos, covering its history of each of its GPU lines since the first Geforce card so many years ago:

Part 1:
      ♥ Subscribe To AdoredTV - http://bit.ly/1J7020P A History of Nvidia GeForce, from the GeForce 256 to the GTX 580. Part 1 of 2.► Support AdoredTV through Pat...

Part 2:
      ♥ Subscribe To AdoredTV - http://bit.ly/1J7020P Part 2 of my Nvidia GeForce history video, covering the period from the GTX 680 till today.Warning: The endin...

Here is a video showing Nvidia's superiority with drivers:

Nvidia's somewhat less than illustrious history is finally compiled into an easily-digested 15 minutes.♥ Subscribe To AdoredTV - http://bit.ly/1J7020P ► Supp...

If you want to see a great video, covering awesome features Nvidia has brought us, unlike AMD who created that Mantle crap...whatever happened to that anyway?

My analysis of Nvidia's GameWorks program paints a bleak picture for gamers - and the future of gaming.♥ Subscribe To AdoredTV - http://bit.ly/1J7020P ► Supp...

Enjoy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
        Docker, is considered a VM, and is often referred to as Docker VM. I think what Google has here is more a VM like a container, than a full blown VM with a separate virtualized kernel. The Linux apps will utilize the same kernel, but are containered/separated from ChromeOS.
        That is what Google is doing to bring Android apps to Chrome OS. With Linux apps, it's currently running a mini headless Debian Stretch image with it's own booted kernel on-top of the KVM hypervisor and securing it all inside an LXC container as well. They are using a nested Wayland compositor with X11 support to display individual app windows on-top of the Chrome OS desktop.

I think Google is using the 4.14 kernel in their Stretch guest, while the host Chrome OS kernels are still at 3.8-18 to 4.4.
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 09 May 2018, 12:45 AM.

Comment

If you are an Nvidia fan, you will enjoy these videos, covering its history of each of its GPU lines since the first Geforce card so many years ago:

Part 1:
          ♥ Subscribe To AdoredTV - http://bit.ly/1J7020P A History of Nvidia GeForce, from the GeForce 256 to the GTX 580. Part 1 of 2.► Support AdoredTV through Pat...

Part 2:
          ♥ Subscribe To AdoredTV - http://bit.ly/1J7020P Part 2 of my Nvidia GeForce history video, covering the period from the GTX 680 till today.Warning: The endin...

Here is a video showing Nvidia's superiority with drivers:

Nvidia's somewhat less than illustrious history is finally compiled into an easily-digested 15 minutes.♥ Subscribe To AdoredTV - http://bit.ly/1J7020P ► Supp...

If you want to see a great video, covering awesome features Nvidia has brought us, unlike AMD who created that Mantle crap...whatever happened to that anyway?

My analysis of Nvidia's GameWorks program paints a bleak picture for gamers - and the future of gaming.♥ Subscribe To AdoredTV - http://bit.ly/1J7020P ► Supp...

Enjoy!!!
          Thanks for the video's . I think mantle is what influenced metal ,vulkan and influenced directx12 api's.
          Last edited by PackRat; 09 May 2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
            Thanks for the video's . I think mantle is wha tinfluenced metal ,vulkan and influenced directx12 api's.
            Vulkan is derived from and built upon components of AMD's Mantle API, which was donated by AMD to Khronos

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
              Few apps exist for Linux. Most of them are programed for GNU-Linux.
              Very few applications actually target GNU/Linux. Rather, they target one of the following:
              1. glibc/Linux (and don't care what the rest of the userland is. See, for example, my OpenPandora handheld which has a glibc+busybox userland)
              2. Anything sufficiently glibc-compatible on top of Linux (eg. musl-based distros like Alpine)
              3. X11/Linux (eg. Many apps require X11 but don't really care which libc you use as long as you build from source.)
              4. POSIX (ie. Stuff that is happy as long as you've got a libc and a POSIX-compliant platform)
              5. X11/POSIX (eg. Things that'll build just as happily on a BSD as on glibc or musl on top of Linux.)

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

That is what Google is doing to bring Android apps to Chrome OS. With Linux apps, it's currently running a mini headless Debian Stretch image with it's own booted kernel on-top of the KVM hypervisor and securing it all inside an LXC container as well. They are using a nested Wayland compositor with X11 support to display individual app windows on-top of the Chrome OS desktop.

I think Google is using the 4.14 kernel in their Stretch guest, while the host Chrome OS kernels are still at 3.8-18 to 4.4.
                I had nvidia before my vega.
                I couldn't say gameworks features increased the quality of the game, I really couldn't.
                What I know is that it tanked performance and even if I was at 100+ fps I wouldn't turn them on cause I really wasn't sure it was better, it looked different.

That what I has to say about gameworks.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Desktop is all about the wide public and Linux won't conquer it until it realises that to do that, it needs to respond to the expectations of desktop users, not the other way around.
                  Pretty much this. Many of these zealots cannot distinguish between unnecessary visual embelishment and useful user experience work (such as intuitive animations that help reduce cognitive load). As longs as people call any effort to improve UX "eye candy", we're not going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
                    Often people will point to some event and say that "this is the year of the linux desktop" and they are always proved wrong. The reality is that while linux may be very well capable of doing a lot of what people want, and even may be able to do it well, linux desktop will never take off until I can walk into a store and buy a computer with linux pre installed easily and reliably. Chrome os solved this isssue, and if this new feature makes it easy to install a full blown linux distribution without having to go into the bios or re partition a drive that 99% of users are too scared to do, you may just see a decent uptick in linux usage. If it's easier to do this than it is apple people to dual boot windows, you will have a lot of people that go into busy buy and buy a cheap and stylish chromebook, take it home and want to play games on it, find out that if they install a disro they can install steam and go from there.

Usualy these chromebook aren't powerhouses, but the intel chips they usualy have can play most light to medium weight games on moderate settings. This might make more developers give some consideration to linux release of their games.
                    In some (2nd world) countries, like mine, you can find Linux laptops in many stores. HP, Dell, Asus, Acer... People buy them in droves as they come up to ~100$ cheaper than equivalent laptops with Windows preinstalled.

The problem is that 90% of the same people install pirated Windows on those laptops.
                    Source: First hand experience.

Comment

<...> awesome features Nvidia has brought us, unlike AMD <..>
                      I know right? What useful AMD ever created except for x86-x64 instruction which is desktop standard today and except playing major role in vulkan development which again is rapidly becoming industry standard? Their latest CPUs are also such a flop with vastly core thread count and very competitive price to performance ratio. World would be better off without AMD so we could pay 3x prices for intel CPUs and nvidia GPUs right? Right!!?

Comment

Working...
                      X