Windows' Notepad Finally Supports Unix/Linux Line Endings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Now if they could just open source Notepad too, then that would be great.
    why! just use notepad++, it is open source, way better support, features, capabilities.
    Try to open a 100MB file in notepad and in notepad++ and you will see the difference. This is a good news anyway because notepad broke so many config, apps, whatever because it is the default txt editor. This will help everybody, even those (like me) that do not even use windows... behind the default is a powerful block for many people

Comment

Originally posted by higuita View Post

why! just use notepad++, it is open source, way better support, features, capabilities.
      Fucking this!

Comment

I don't understand why people care. Notepad was never more than an app to view log files and readmes. That's it. Windows doesn't use text files for configs anyway, so anything serious is usually done with more feature rich text editors. The people here pretend they don't all use notepad++ on Windows

Comment

Windows VMs are mostly ephemeral for me so Notepad (and any "built-in" that's good enough) sees a bit of use. This will be very nice, if not long overdue. Of course if you actually use and maintain Windows machines for longer periods of time it may be worth installing better tools.

Comment

What an amazing feat of engineering

Comment

First thing I do, after installing windows is always install notepad++ to replace notepad. It is slicker than, loads of fast than VSCode, Atom, for development works, I use vscode.

Still not changing anything lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MihaiBojescu View Post
                Took them a while...
                I wonder if it is one of those applications they no longer have the source code for and needs to binary patch.. They have a few of those AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by MihaiBojescu View Post
                  Took them a while...
                  Nah, they're still well on schedule!
                  I mean, it took them 10 years to implement something like Ctrl-S to quick-save a file, so I think it's okay that they needed another 10 years for the line endings...
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    The people here pretend they don't all use notepad++ on Windows
                    A lot of the Windows users I work with use UltraEdit or SublimeText, but I'm not convinced either is better than Notepad++.

Comment

I'd like to point out both Wordpad and Word handle this exact case fine. MSFT really hasn't touched Notepad in ages, and it shows.

Comment

Working...
                      X