NVIDIA Ends The GeForce Partner Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    BTW NVIDIA is the only brand offering 32-bit floating point precision on their GPUs.
    I had to check the date on your post - I think that was the case back in ~2003 (we used 24-bit, NVidia used a mix of 16- and 32-bit) but not today.
    Test signature

Comment

Oh good. Now, maybe someone can get the Nvidia folks some Genuine People Personalities.

All kidding aside, they were trying to strongarm their customers and hopefully, it backfired. Nvidia does a lot of really nasty stuff and you shouldn't buy their hardware. They have competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        After this i expect AMD to launch some special card like Navi Ferrari

Comment

Well its a good thing, but I think NVIDIA saw the writing on the wall here and while they claimed no wrong doing its clear that they knew legally THAT would not hold up in court after some discovery is done.

PLUS NVIDIA is doing fine vs AMD, why even try for more dominance when your direct competitor can't compete with top end cards now and likely in the future!!!

Comment

Sad day, collective stupidity won.
            What did nvidia want? To bind brands to their production. That is for what brands have been created, to let customers to identify product of one manufacturer. Would the GPP be harmful to AMD? Of course, every kind of nvidia advertisment harms it's competitor, that how economic works.
            We, people who know something about hardware, mostly ignore that brands, we look for GPU type and than for additional characteristics. There are other people, who don't know how many there are gpu manufacturers, they can fall for some "Asus ROG is best for gaming" ad. We, the "higher class", all know why brand division is harmful for AMD and not for nvidia, with current quality of its hardware AMD can survive on crumbs from nv table and that is why part of us is fighting against GPP, to help AMD. We, for ourselves, always buy best product for our money. So when created this shitstorm, which forced nvidia to step back, we the "higher class" have sold "lower class" for the future of AMD. AMD survival is payed not by our money, but by money of grannies, who will buy overpriced polaris/vega for their beloving grandsons.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
              Mesa is still about 20 extensions off of full GL 4.6 compliance whereas the NVIDIA blob is already there. It matters if you want to get work done on your GPU. Half the time the features never seem to get finished.
              Difference is Nvidia solely focus on closed codes possibly containing not standard quirks hence their unwillingness to work on Mesa having Valve, Feral, Intel and AMD involved in a better implementation of open standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                Sad day, collective stupidity won.
                I take it you work for NVIDIA?

They should have no say on what each company calls their videocards or any fancy naming they come up with like 'ROG' / 'Gaming' etc... Anyone who thinks else-wise is clearly having a rather bias viewpoint.

That's like a manufacturer selling a drill motor to dewalt and bosch and saying they won't provide support if they call other manufacturers motors a Drill / Impact Drill also.... GPP is nothing more then a preferred customer system just like how shopping centers work to push other brands to the bottom or OFF the shelf. It's unethical but technically legal, however likely won't stand up in court if challenged (most can't fit that bill)
                Last edited by theriddick; 05 May 2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                  I don't understand how your past purchases which didn't even belong to the said program relate to this incident.

Also, almost all GPUs produced by OEMs have custom PCBs.

Also, almost all GPUs nowadays are completely digital, so image artefacts and issues are simply impossible (unless you OC your VRAM).

Also, 64 vs 128 bit was nothing to do with the brand - it was your choice. You hadn't researched enough prior to the purchase and made a wrong decision by buying a 64bit GPU.

Also, you didn't address what I was saying earlier: nothing ever stopped OEMs from desinging and making good GPUs for AMD without fancy monikers.

Also, some products under a fancy moniker [for NVIDIA] had subpar quality.

Still, let's hate NVIDIA because AMD is an underdog. Yeah, most online conversations have this sole argument.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    I take it you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      I love phoronix, anybody who say something good about nvidia is either troll or working at nvidia.

They should have no say on what each company calls their videocards or any fancy naming they come up with like 'ROG' / 'Gaming' etc... Anyone who thinks else-wise is clearly having a rather bias viewpoint.
                      nvidia neither stole that brands nor sued brands owners. It has made a business proposition and brand owner agreed. It is actually AMD, press and you are dictating them how they must call their videocards. It is you who forcing asus to sell AMD videocards under same brand as nvidia and you are offering nothing in return. Just to mislead some poor guy to buy AMD.
                      That's like a manufacturer selling a drill motor to dewalt and bosch and saying they won't provide support if they call other manufacturers motors a Drill / Impact Drill also.... GPP is nothing more then a preferred customer system just like how shopping centers work to push other brands to the bottom or OFF the shelf. It's unethical but technically legal, however likely won't stand up in court if challenged (most can't fit that bill)
                      Obvious lie is never clever argument. You know no less than I that GPU type defines almost all videocard features. In any other topics nobody care about subbrands as RoG, main brands like ASUS. Even gpu model usually out of question, gtx1080ti timew more performant than gtx950 and has different feature levels, but most cases important part is is it nvidia, with cuda and without opensource driver or is it AMD. And only it that topic you are pretending like there is no difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X