X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, based HP and Dell!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I strongly suspect that even if the actual GPP is scrapped all the OEMs won't just do an U turn now.
      It seems Asus has actually done exactly that: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Car...ries-Products/ <- no more Arez, it's ROG again.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        You claim "the moniker matters" without giving any arguments for it. You claim "NVIDIA wanted 'just' that" and I'm not even sure what you're claiming.

What's your point again? But I don't want just a point - I want some sound arguments which unfortunately you have none. Come again.
        I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as "monikers", are in fact, both manufacturers and designers of custom PCB, and that does matter. Why it matters? Because not all designs are equal, while it is true that most (if not all) of them are done with production cost in mind, some are better, and some are worse. I can give you my personal experience that might be completly different for someone else, but with that on mind as potentially very important factor, I will still share my view.

I would never again buy anything branded "Gigabyte" or "Leadtek", and reason for that is not because they are "bad quality" products, no, all products I've got from them worked without any problem in terms of functionality (nothing got RMA'd), the problem is that design of those low to mid range components (just to be fair here, no high end products were in my experience with those brands) was so bad, that I had all sorts of problems with them, from input lag created by both motherboards and graphic cards, to stuttering even at high frame rate and so on. Just one example, I remember using two identical GPU's (I think it was FX 5500 back in the days, low end product), one Gygabite and one MSI, with only difference between them of one being with 128-bit memory bus (Gygabite) and other 64-bit bus (MSI) on same PC, same motherboard, same RAM, everything, even clocks of the GPU's themselves. Gygabite GPU would stutter like crazy, regardless of FPS, it did "ghosting" effect on CRT how bad it was, while MSI that was theoretically worse because of 64-bit bus, actually gave picture clean as watter, and maybe GB had better FPS, I really do not know, and I do not care, because why should I care if it is stuttery mess?

Similar things happened with motherboards, where ASUS motherboards and GPU's showed as best option for me personally, yes, some of the ASUS motherboards had some problems, back in k7 area, one of them with via chipset had problems I never had on Gygabite motherboards, mouse would just stop working (PS/2) untill reboot, only a year+ BIOS update partially fixed the problem (not completly, just drastically reduced rate of it happening, from once per few reboots to once per month/few weeks), yet, even such problem is, while not really acceptable, even for low-end product (and this was mid range product), is still better than laggy, simply badly working PC with other one that had no such issues.

So no, chip (GPU/CPU), while still the most important part of some product, is far away from the whole story, especially when manufacturers of PCB do not follow chip designer (AMD/Intel/nvidia etc.) PCB design, but instead use their "custom design" to save money (and let's face it, everyone does it).

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          It seems Asus has actually done exactly that: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Car...ries-Products/ <- no more Arez, it's ROG again.
          Good on Asus, I hope others follow suit, as that would be the proof that the agreements were scrapped as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina
            AMD is currently pulling one over Intel with their X399 chipsets (basically parasiting on Intels X299 by adding 100 to it).
            That's somewhat minor though. I mean that's a chipset, not a major component like CPU or GPU.

What. Even if we count iGPU on Intel as "PC GPU", that doesn't sound quite right.
            Nah, if we count iGPUs and dedicated GPUs together that's the actual market share, or even worse. There are ridiculous amounts of PCs with just integrated graphics.

The issue is why is he even counting iGPUs together with dedicated GPUs at all, they are completely different tools for different jobs.

Comment

After this i expect AMD to launch some special card like Navi Ferrari

Comment

Funny how this sort of thing always happens when two partner up and a third one goes empty.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  Funny how this sort of thing always happens when two partner up and a third one goes empty.
                  who partnered with who, to do what, and who went empty?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      who partnered with who, to do what, and who went empty?
                      Intel partnered with AMD and NVIDIA is going it alone. BTW NVIDIA is the only brand offering 32-bit floating point precision on their GPUs. Frankly AMD has a lot of problems they still haven't sorted. Mesa is still about 20 extensions off of full GL 4.6 compliance whereas the NVIDIA blob is already there. It matters if you want to get work done on your GPU. Half the time the features never seem to get finished.
                      Last edited by DMJC; 04 May 2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X