Outreachy Announces Summer 2018 Participants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    But in your argument, I think you're implying that women (+ trans etc.) do have equal opportunity in tech.
    No I don't, I imply that the measures to actually give equal opportunity in tech are not what Outreachy is doing. They are striving for equal distribution as all other programs of the same ilk.

I would say that with tech being over-represented in white males*, this makes an environment that might be intimidating to women. It could be argued that something like Outreachy might be good for counteracting that.
    This is unbelievalby racist/genderist/whatever, you got it.

Why the fuck should someone be intimidated by the gender or race of other people at his workplace? What is this, kindergarten where males are afraid of females (and females despise males)?

What makes you think that having a place full of people with your same gender/race/whatever should make you feel better about some place? If you have some racist/genderist ideas carried over from primary school yeah it will, but fuck that mindset with a chainsaw, we don't want that.

Do you make friends based on race/gender or on common interests and passions? WTF man.

Comment

Ahhh yes the bigotry of low expectations crowd *cough* Outreachy *cough* is back. Good times good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
        In a way I was glad I was rejected, it was too cold for me in Michigan anyway and I ended up in a college in the Midwest.
        Michigan is in the Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

They're not comparable. College is a critical resource that should be available to everyone. Outreachy is a small program that was designed from inception to only be available to under-represented groups.

If you get denied entry to college because of some policy that is not to do with merit, then you have a right to be aggrieved. But Outreachy isn't hurting you if you're a white male. People talk about Outreachy as if it existing infringes on their civil rights, they need to get some perspective.
          You just gave me a great idea, let's design all new colleges to only be available to under-represented groups!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            If they were oppressing black people would this statement hold water? No.
            If they were oppressing black people I would imagine that would be illegal.

There's probably a reason why discriminating against people because of the color of their skin is illegal, and doing the Outreach project isn't.

Comment

Projects like Outreachy serve to prop up incompetent people who need to play the minority card to get somewhere, meritocracy is the only way to go, but our world is going towards a point where it will matter more who you are than what skills do you possess. All in order to pursue pipe dreams of equality, all people will never be equal, it goes against human nature and its penchant for social darwinism and urge to be more successful than others.

Comment

I see that, as usual, the people angered by those with objections of race and gender-restrictive programs like this are the first ones to be here to moan. Just trying to turn this into a shouting match rather than actually argue your point is probably to be expected when your justification for supporting this boils down to "Two wrongs totally make a right" and comes with the additional problem that the perpetrators of the first wrong are not even the same people as the ones being disadvantaged by the second. Sadly that's not how the adult world works, no matter how much you want it to be.

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                It wasn't until later that I learned about affirmative action which is essentially reverse-racism.
                No need to talk about supposed reverse-anything when racism is discrimination based on race and the term applies regardless of who the victim is.
                Last edited by L_A_G; 25 April 2018, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                  Projects like Outreachy serve to prop up incompetent people who need to play the minority card to get somewhere, meritocracy is the only way to go, but our world is going towards a point where it will matter more who you are than what skills do you possess. All in order to pursue pipe dreams of equality, all people will never be equal, it goes against human nature and its penchant for social darwinism and urge to be more successful than others.
                  The open source world is also being co-opted by regressive shite like "Code of Conducts" being implemented everywhere, for the exact same reason. (edit): would be bad if people could talk freely, could offend some special snowflakes, eh, like the people running Outreachy
                  Last edited by Redfoxmoon; 25 April 2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• AND you are a person of any gender who is Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander
                    AND other minorities, left outside, should sue them for discrimination. In EU, I'm sure what they do, this practice is completely illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

The open source world is also being co-opted by regressive shite like "Code of Conducts" being implemented everywhere, for the exact same reason. (edit): would be bad if people could talk freely, could offend some special snowflakes, eh, like the people running Outreachy
                      Free speech is only free if it is absolutely free, if there are limits to what one can say then it is no longer free speech, only an imitation of it. Good thing is that human nature instinctively rebels against attempts to limit it's expression. As for people getting offended, anyone who needs special privileges and Orwellian thought police to keep them safe from "evil offensive people" need to man up and realize that getting offended is a part of life, everyone experienced some kind of offense sometime in their life, and likewise offended someone else, but nobody except special snowflakes makes a big deal out of it, they make it a big deal because their personality is too fragile to cope with real life.

Comment

Working...
                      X