Valve Acquires Campo Santo Game Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Ehem... CDProjekt Red has at least continued to develop IP and their own game engine, as well as providing the best store on the market in GOG. Valve has basically done nothing but create hats the past 6 years and arguably they themselves have done nothing since Portal 2 because L4D, DOTA, and modern counterstrike have all been by outside studios that were acquired, and don't give me "But other people can use the source engine"... Great, and outside of a handful of indie projects that mostly grew out of mods... what company besides Valve uses Source engine? *crickets crickets* that's what I thought. Everyone uses Crytek, Unreal, or an in house engine.
    Ea games (not indie btw) used source engine for both Titanfall 1 (2014) & 2 (2016). Indie's don't count? cdprojectred is considered Indie. Valve ported all their games to Linux. Gog galaxy does not even work on Linux... GOG/CDroject don't give a shit about Linux gaming just like you.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

Ea games (not indie btw) used source engine for both Titanfall 1 (2014) & 2 (2016). Indie's don't count? cdprojectred is considered Indie. Valve ported all their games to Linux. Gog galaxy does not even work on Linux... GOG/CDroject don't give a shit about Linux gaming just like you.
      Indie projects that grew out of mods... actual from scratch indie projects are all using Unreal or Unity. Also "Ermahghad you can't use GOG galaxy on Linux" well here's a protip for you: It's entirely optional. entirely 100% optional. You can just download from GOG itself like you could before they came out with Galaxy, and they no doubt will release a linux version eventually as unlike Valve they decided to use Qt rather than rolling their own stupid internal toolkit... they can't just reuse the windows code for linux as the the installer portion of the code is highly OS specific, but they're actually competent enough that they may just hook into the flatpak infrastructure to support their games when they do develop support for it in Galaxy. Also if CDProjekt Red is Indie then Valve is Indie... They're a large well funded AAA company at this point.

Comment

When GOG releases a Linux version of GOG galaxy that binary will be made from valve technology.

Comment

GoG has bigger issues -- like how they process their online transactions through a bank in Cypress. I've been unable to buy anything from them in years, because of fraud alerts blocking the transaction and disabling the card used...whether used directly or via Paypal.

As for Valve...they need to learn some lessons from Red Hat: as wonderful as having employees work on whatever they feel like is, humans need direction and deadlines. Hire people for a job they're interested in, then make them do it. Or have part of the day to do something specific, then the rest to work on what they want.

Rise and shine, Mister Newell. Rise and shine.

Comment

Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop from Valve AFAIK was last year, and it's free. No Linux version though, but works great with Wine. I think there will be a HL3, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the VR games was HL3. Steam also actually has a return policy, though that's an unfair comparison to be making with a DRM-free store like GoG. It's a difference worth considering though.

Valve is either one of the incredibly few companies actually capable of long term thinking, or it's jerks out to make a buck. I think they've been lucky to find the "monopoly" they did in Steam (which I think they would admit too), with one of the first digital app stores to find a mass audience basically on it's own. Every strategic decision they've made has been right on (with learning experiences), and I don't think they've rested as much on their laurels as much as say Intel has (Ok, that might be debatable).

As long as we're piling on game developers though, I can't believe Bethesda has gotten away with selling the same buggy shit for at least a decade now. I will take Valve/Steam over any other publisher/developer as a platform. Valve could've gone into publishing too, but they choose to remain a mostly tech company and I don't think that's debatable.

Also, if some youtube fuck is within his rights to stream what he wants without facing any real consequences, why isn't a game developer or any software developer so within his right to tell someone to stop using their game/software in a certain way? This is a two way street.

Comment

Originally posted by audir8 View Post
              Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop from Valve AFAIK was last year, and it's free. No Linux version though, but works great with Wine. I think there will be a HL3, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the VR games was HL3. Steam also actually has a return policy, though that's an unfair comparison to be making with a DRM-free store like GoG. It's a difference worth considering though.

Valve is either one of the incredibly few companies actually capable of long term thinking, or it's jerks out to make a buck. I think they've been lucky to find the "monopoly" they did in Steam (which I think they would admit too), with one of the first digital app stores to find a mass audience basically on it's own. Every strategic decision they've made has been right on (with learning experiences), and I don't think they've rested as much on their laurels as much as say Intel has (Ok, that might be debatable).

As long as we're piling on game developers though, I can't believe Bethesda has gotten away with selling the same buggy shit for at least a decade now. I will take Valve/Steam over any other publisher/developer as a platform. Valve could've gone into publishing too, but they choose to remain a mostly tech company and I don't think that's debatable.

Also, if some youtube fuck is within his rights to stream what he wants without facing any real consequences, why isn't a game developer or any software developer so within his right to tell someone to stop using their game/software in a certain way? This is a two way street.
              I tried reactive drop. It's a lot of fun. Some missions are glued together to make one big mission. I haven't played much with VR but I kind of wish I had one to play with. All it will take is one damn good game on the scale of Fortnite that exclusively makes VR worth it, then all of a sudden, everyone will want it.

I think nvidia does have a threat, that being intel. Intel very likely will be making their own gpu's very soon and it won't be long now before we see them come to fruition.

I've been watching a few twitch streamers lately. If anything streamers promote the game because it's a form of advertising. For eg watching someone play has convinced me to buy a specific game. Either way, bad streamers get kicked from streaming services pretty quickly so unsure how this is a problem. You watch streams because of the person not so much the game. I believe some publishers that love to control everything ~cough~nin~tendo~cough are just greedy... They lose fans because of the way they treat end users. Good luck ever seeing said company release something open source. So for me Valve all the way!

Comment

Working...
              X