Valve Acquires Campo Santo Game Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I thought Valve got the best jerks around already, what did these new Campo Santo guys do to be called "more jerks than Valve"?
    Campo Santo are sjw cry babies. "PewDiePie using the N-word while livestreaming a game of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds—which is not made by Campo Santo. In response, Campo Santo co-founder Sean Vanaman announced on Twitter that he would be invoking the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to force PewDiePie livestreams of Campo Santo games off of YouTube.." Campo Santo did this "We're filing a DMCA takedown of PewDiePie's Firewatch content and any future Campo Santo games," Campo Santo cofounder Sean Vanaman said on Twitter Sunday evening. "I am sick of this child getting more and more chances to make money off of what we make." -source arstechnica

Comment

I thought Valve got the best jerks around already, what did these new Campo Santo guys do to be called "more jerks than Valve"?
      Sean Vanaman decided to say he would harass an independent creator with an unlawful DMCA claim because of a personal disagreement, then went on to grandstand about it to the media. Really regardless of his intent and the spirit of this gesture, it comes off to me as rather petty, immature, and braggadocious. He could have done the deed without grandstanding, or he could have just said his piece, but instead he chose to put on an air of offense and brag about it.

Also, what gives you the impression that Valve is staffed with jerks?
      Last edited by microcode; 23 April 2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Are Valve jerks? No... are they lazy, disorganized, and incoherent as a company and have completely lost their way? Yes.

Comment

The thing with getting tons of money without having to actually work for it, is that eventually you stop caring for work... Valve is getting filthy rich by doing absolutely NOTHING, just sitting around updating Steam client now and then and making new deals.... The issue with that is that Microsoft and other companies (EA with Origin, Ubisoft, etc) are getting jealous and want a piece of the pie. And the fact is, Valve is depending on momentum at this point: Most people already own a lot of games on Steam thus they keep using it. But if they keep ignoring the need to make games of their own and secure some exclusives, eventually people will move to other platforms.

All competitors have to do, is make their own games available on their own distribution platforms. Blizzard already does that, Activision began experimenting with Destiny 2 on Blizzard client, EA already avoids Steam, Ubisoft may do so pretty soon, Microsoft as well...Then what? Eventually people will just flock to other distribution platforms.

Imagine if Microsoft decides to lock windows gaming on the Microsoft store. A real possibility that is certainly on the way. Then what? Does Valve believe that people will just uninstall windows and install Linux out of the blue in order to keep playing old Steam games in their catalogues? If all the new games land on the new platforms, people will rather stay on Windows than transition to Steam OS or Linux. So Valve needs to invest some of the billions they made and keep making new Steam exclusives.

And what do they do? Acquire the indie studio that made a glorified walking simulator? Are we supposed to be impressed? Where are the AAA games valve? Those games sell platforms, not indie darlings... Where is Half Life 3 at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Also, what gives you the impression that Valve is staffed with jerks?
            Lack of serious focus on anything that isn't just selling games on a plaftorm that has a large momentum, dirty tricks to get money. Valve was a game design company, now it is not anymore.

Announcements like Steam Machines then followed by crickets, debatable choices on their Linux endeavors, and hats, many many many digital hats traded in digital marketplaces for real money between players. Really pisses me off that their last games have all that "stock trader" simulation for cosmetic objects going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Are Valve jerks? No... are they lazy, disorganized, and incoherent as a company and have completely lost their way? Yes.
              Would you rather Valve or Microsoft own the reigns? Or how about Origin / EA? Personally think Valve is still doing the best job out of all the game library management options out there. Sure, steam could be better. I don't doubt that for a second. But it also could be a hell of a lot worse. ~cough uplay~

I think valve missed the boat with half life 3. I would say half life 1 and 2 are my top games of all time. Especially the original half life. I wanted to see half life 3. The spoilers in portal 1 and 2 left me thinking that HL3 is a very likely possibility. It's just been so long now. I don't want to see it become another vaporware or crap hacked up release like duke nukem forever.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                I don't want to see it become another vaporware or crap hacked up release like duke nukem forever.
                Imho it's best to not see it at all. That boat has sailed past long ago, now there would be so much expectations that even a decent game would get them burned at the stake (figuratively).

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post

Would you rather Valve or Microsoft own the reigns? Or how about Origin / EA? Personally think Valve is still doing the best job out of all the game library management options out there. Sure, steam could be better. I don't doubt that for a second. But it also could be a hell of a lot worse. ~cough uplay~

I think valve missed the boat with half life 3. I would say half life 1 and 2 are my top games of all time. Especially the original half life. I wanted to see half life 3. The spoilers in portal 1 and 2 left me thinking that HL3 is a very likely possibility. It's just been so long now. I don't want to see it become another vaporware or crap hacked up release like duke nukem forever.
                  I vastly prefer GOG / CDProjekt Red over anyone else, especially Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

I vastly prefer GOG / CDProjekt Red over anyone else, especially Valve.
                    You prefer the company CDProjekt Red that has only one ip and and a game engine that no other game companies use. Looks like gog/cdproject is lazier to me.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

You prefer the company CDProjekt Red that has only one ip and and a game engine that no other game companies use. Looks like gog/cdproject is lazier to me.
                      Ehem... CDProjekt Red has at least continued to develop IP and their own game engine, as well as providing the best store on the market in GOG. Valve has basically done nothing but create hats the past 6 years and arguably they themselves have done nothing since Portal 2 because L4D, DOTA, and modern counterstrike have all been by outside studios that were acquired, and don't give me "But other people can use the source engine"... Great, and outside of a handful of indie projects that mostly grew out of mods... what company besides Valve uses Source engine? *crickets crickets* that's what I thought. Everyone uses Crytek, Unreal, or an in house engine.
                      Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 25 April 2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X