No announcement yet.

*stands up* Hi my name is ak47gen and I am a linuxholic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not saying the worse may not happen, but I am not as worried as most people say I should be.

Comment

The problem is constant I/O. Of course you can write 200GB per day for 10 years with those. Probably. But note the details: 200GB per day means *once* per day. Plug it in, write 200GB on it, then remove it again.

In your setup, there's constant I/O. That means there's probably an order of magnitude more data transfered than 200GB per day. Just make sure you take backups regularly

Comment

No i got you, i mean 200 gb is essitally them saying 20 writes a day over the same stuff for 10 years. Thats why my ramdrive is no on the raid, but on one 8 gb. And i am not worried if it does die this is just an experament to get me back into linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ak47gen View Post
          Not saying the worse may not happen, but I am not as worried as most people say I should be.
          ...And you shouldn't be either, assuming the only thing the drives are used for is loading the os, and programs. While that is reading intensive, it's not very writing intensive,

It should go w/o saying that you shouldn't put valuable data on a Raid 0 array, etc, etc.

Comment

impressive

Comment

. With raid 0 make sure there all the same size
              4. If you can use multiple host USB controllors, most cap out around 50 MB/s but can go up to 60. (i have 6, 2 on the mainboard, 2 pci cards, 2 pci express cards)
              5. if done right your looking at ~$200 for a ~210 MB/S drive with response times as low as 70 Microseconds for 52 GBs.(so a lot of money for little space, but faster than a x3 raptors on raid 0 *which is ~$400).

Comment

Working...
              X