No announcement yet.

The Big GNOME Shell Memory Leak Has Been Plugged, Might Be Backported To 3.28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Another example of why something like Akonadi (which uses a database like MySQL) is not bloat because it's useful, chiefly in a company:]

My reminder pops up Monday morning, say two hours before the meeting. I click the email link and it pulls up the mail. Click another button and it pulls up the entire thread. With just two mouse clicks I now have all the email conversations I've had with this client to refresh my memory, in just a few seconds. In that same view I also see I have some notes attached to some of our exchanges. Remember, time is money.

The old way: the reminder pops up, I have to open my email program, search through the hundreds of mails I receive to find the one I want, then search again for anything relevant, etc. What a pain.

[There is more information in http://web.archive.org/web/201306270...e-and-kde-pim]

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post

Have you heard about DisplayPostScript? Yep, that's right, a DE programmed in in PostScript, which is a printer language.
      It was a big feature of CDE (Common Desktop Environment) on Solaris.
      Now we know why it didn't take off...

(Cue to the idiot who conflates a markup language with an imperative language just because they can be used together.)

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Now we know why it didn't take off...

(Cue to the idiot who conflates a markup language with an imperative language just because they can be used together.)
        That is not exactly correct, DPS were used on NextStep, which later evolved into Mac OS X but instead of PostScript used PDF. I doubt you can say that Mac OS X were not succesful.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

That is not exactly correct, DPS were used on NextStep, which later evolved into Mac OS X but instead of PostScript used PDF. I doubt you can say that Mac OS X were not succesful.
          DisplayPostscript was co-developed by Adobe and NeXT, and the CDE's version was crap compared to ours at NeXT. They of course didn't have our expertise. And it's predecessor is now Display PDF, which was invented solely because Adobe didn't want to drop the $10/seat license for DPS back to Apple, so we did an end around at Apple when NeXT and Apple merged.

Adobe shot themselves in the foot on that one.

Comment

I'm 99% satisfied with the progress of GNOME, especially the upcoming GTK+4 stuff. It's when they break the shell/gdm3/gsettings crap every now and then, which mysteriously gets fixed in a point.point release w/ little to no back SQA logs to explain their mistakes shows me they have a long way [like nearly all FSF solely based projects] to improving their software quality assurance practices and reducing mistakes that continue to repeat themselves.

I would point out that the javascript library in Gnome isn't exactly the most recent one can get, and if I were them I'd use the one with WebKit2 over Mozilla's.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
              Insults take people out of their shells to talk like real persons, like you did now.
              Nah, you will only devalue yourself with insults.
              Like someone said: "insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong"

Comment

Im feeling some sarcasm here. However there is also some truth in your statements especially with respect to RAM and processors.

In any event i really believe that the Linux /GNOME community has to start to think seriously about the move to modern development tools. That might be Rust, Swift or something else, but the goal should be to find improved tools thatvhelps to eliminate these issues.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                General purpose Linux is designed to be bloat.

These who don't have memory, might want to check assembly OSes like Kolibri/Menuet or such

Our Linux devs have 16 core CPUs probably 32GB of memory, whatever and if it leaks couple gigs daily that does not matter at all, who cares - it is Desktop, not serious, etc...

And also devs are so lazy and ignorant to even dare to ask people with slow machines to test their bloated shitty code, no one sane with slow machine and/or low memory should ever test that and to lose any microsecond of his free time to deal with that laggy crap

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post

Have you heard about DisplayPostScript? Yep, that's right, a DE programmed in in PostScript, which is a printer language.
                  It was a big feature of CDE (Common Desktop Environment) on Solaris.
                  That actuallly makes more sense than using JavaScript and if you recall PDF is pretty common in MacOS. The problem here is that Javascript is slow and in key parts of the OS you need a programming solution that is fast. It isnt just the language of course, the software has to be structured for performsnce, but the choice of Javascript just highlights that the developers dont care about either.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Nah, you will only devalue yourself with insults.
                    Like someone said: "insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong"
                    While this might pull the thread off track your quote is a bit self serving. It is basically a defense mechanism employeed by people that dont want to evauate why they where insukted in the first place.

while insults are too wide spread in the various forums at times they are the right way to deal with somebody way way out in left field.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      The main problem with JavaScript is people might well have a browser ten years old which imposes crazy semantics on your working program
                      the main problem with js is browsers are brought into discussion

Comment

Working...
                      X