• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makam View Post

What about Goobuntu?
    What about it? It's dead, Jim: https://itsfoss.com/goobuntu-glinux-google/

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      [Google is] using a custom kernel for ChromeOS based on Gentoo . . . they switched their internal Linux distro from Ubuntu to Debian...
      With regard to ChromeOS, "Canonical [contributed] engineering to Google under contract."

With regard to switching from Goobuntu (based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) to gLinux (based on Debian Testing), as the article to which you link (in another post) points out, "keep in mind that Google doesn’t restrict its developers from using any operating system." Indeed, many Googlers have been using newer versions of Ubuntu (and other distributions) instead of Goobuntu for many years.
      Last edited by GizmoChicken; 06 April 2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

With regard to ChromeOS, "Canonical [contributed] engineering to Google under contract."

With regard to switching from Goobuntu (based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) to gLinux (based on Debian Testing), as the article to which you link (in another post) points out, "keep in mind that Google doesn’t restrict its developers from using any operating system." Indeed, many Googlers have been using newer versions of Ubuntu (and other distributions) instead of Goobuntu for many years.
        I know that Google doesn't have restrictions on what OS they're devs want to use, but if they choose Ubuntu, then that's their personal choice. Google isn't using any Canonical products anymore officially, that's what I was trying to point out.

Also, the link you posted about Canonical helping Google with ChromeOS is from 2009. I know that old articles aren't necessarily irrelevant, but in this case we were talking about the current situation, so it doesn't matter what Canonical did in 2009, they aren't doing anything for ChromeOS in 2018.

Comment

Microsoft could buy Canonical to use Ubuntu as the new, better base for WSL. Not that I want that to happen, but it's a possibility.
          Isn't Ubuntu already the underlying userland for WSL?

Comment

Google isn't using any Canonical products anymore officially, that's what I was trying to point out. . . .
            we were talking about the current situation, so it doesn't matter what Canonical did in 2009, they aren't doing anything for ChromeOS in 2018.
            That Canonical contributed engineering services toward ChromeOS development wasn't known to the public until after those services had concluded.

Regarding the current situation, unless you are privy to confidential information that is not known to the public (and let me be clear that I am not privy to any such confidential information), I rather doubt that you know what services Canonical is currently providing to Google.

Comment

It doesn't make any sense for Google to buy Ubuntu. 1.) They already have Android; and 2.) They're currently working on Fuchsia.
              Obviously, Apple isn't interested nor should they be. Same with Intel.
              I'll wager it's Microsoft that benefits most from buying Canonical and leveraging their already existing relationship in order to extend WSL to full-bore Linux VMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercyful Fate View Post
                It doesn't make any sense for Google to buy . . .
                The above has probably been said, often for good reason, about many of the acquisitions made by Google (now Alphabet) over the years.
                Last edited by GizmoChicken; 07 April 2018, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                  So the most popular distro is seriously at risk of becoming either a Microsoft, Amazon or Google product?
                  Another very good reason to jump ship to Debian and get used to it as fast as you can.
                  What, if anything, leads you to believe that Canonical, even if purchased, would discontinue basing Ubuntu on Debian?

And if you don't believe that Canonical will discontinue basing Ubuntu on Debian, what, if anything, is your objection to Canonical being purchased?

Comment

Working...
                  X