Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Cloud Poaches Ubuntu's VP of Product

Phoronix: Google Cloud Poaches Ubuntu's VP of Product

After being at Canonical for a decade (aside from a brief stint at Gazzang), Dustin Kirkland who most recently served as the company's VP of Product, is joining Google...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Canonical cannot IPO soon enough. Otherwise the silicon valley vultures will pick all the juicy bits from the financially undefended carcass.

Comment

Many have speculated that Microsoft will someday purchase Canonical. Not me. I, admittedly without any basis other than a hunch, have always considered Google to be the more likely purchaser. I wonder if my hunch has any merit?

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
        Many have speculated that Microsoft will someday purchase Canonical. Not me. I, admittedly without any basis other than a hunch, have always considered Google to be the more likely purchaser. I wonder if my hunch has any merit?
        Is Canonical that obviously shopping itself out? honest question.... I know he wants to IPO but is there appetite amongs the FANGs for this company? What would they gain? What advantage would Google, for example, get from owning it as opposed to just continuing to use its output as it does right now?

Comment

He said he will be more active on Debian too, cool!

Comment

Amazon should buy Canonical they already got their foot in the door.

Comment

That's funny because I've been feeling exactly the same way for some reason. Both Microsoft and Amazon have partnerships with Canonical while Google doesn't, Ubuntu doesn't even ship any Google software by default and, for what we know, Google doesn't use anything Ubuntu either. And yet it somehow always seemed natural to me that Canonical would end up under Google's wings. Not that I wish it happened!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

That's funny because I've been feeling exactly the same way for some reason. Both Microsoft and Amazon have partnerships with Canonical while Google doesn't, Ubuntu doesn't even ship any Google software by default and, for what we know, Google doesn't use anything Ubuntu either. And yet it somehow always seemed natural to me that Canonical would end up under Google's wings. Not that I wish it happened!
                What about Goobuntu?

Comment

Microsoft could buy Canonical to use Ubuntu as the new, better base for WSL. Not that I want that to happen, but it's a possibility.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 06 April 2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
                    What advantage would Google, for example, get from owning it as opposed to just continuing to use its output as it does right now?
                    What Canonical products (or "output", as you put it) is Google using? They're using a custom kernel for ChromeOS based on Gentoo, a custom, proprietary display server, they switched their internal Linux distro from Ubuntu to Debian...
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 06 April 2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X