No announcement yet.

Torvalds Expresses Concerns Over Current "Kernel Lockdown" Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expressing concerns is not stopping. Is not even putting it on hold or slowing it down.
    To me is basically ... nothing.
    Linus, either you definitely ditch it or you definitely embrace it. No third way is given.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
      Expressing concerns is not stopping. Is not even putting it on hold or slowing it down.
      To me is basically ... nothing.
      Linus, either you definitely ditch it or you definitely embrace it. No third way is given.
      That's not really being good community member. First you negotiate without superuser privileges to see if either party (you included) changes their opinion. Then you overrule and drop the proposal if there's no agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

That's not really being good community member. First you negotiate without superuser privileges to see if either party (you included) changes their opinion. Then you overrule and drop the proposal if there's no agreement.
        Linus ain't a "normal"â„¢ Linux Kernel Dev community member. Is he?

Comment

Considering how even now secure boot randomly just refuses to work with Linux, I am happy he stopped this.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
            Considering how even now secure boot randomly just refuses to work with Linux, I am happy he stopped this.
            Stopped?
            Where are you reading about it?
            So far that stuff has been pushed into GIT and not being pulled out for now.

Comment

Linus is right.

Secureboot is not about DRM, it's about taking control over the platform.
              That's the agenda, remote access on demand.

I like the whole idea of kernel lockdown.
              But it should be the choice of the owner of the platform if he/she/x wants to tie it to other platform "features", like Secure Boot.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post

Anyone know yet if he's growing a competent protege for when he steps down?
                Its likely to be Greg I would say..

And yes he is competent

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                  I use an ad-blocker despite Michaels pleads not to use one. Phoronix.com is absolutely unusable without ad-blocker.
                  It is indeed, but it's still on the edge of being acceptable. It sometimes gives me a laugh when I click on an ad to check it out. Like who are those people who want to sit on (or in) a bean bag? They're as silly as ball pits and pools for toddlers. Or just today did it have a "men's wallet" on show, which features a zipper on the outside. How annoying is that?! Some of the stuff is so bad, it's interesting again.

Or check this thing out. It's called a "survival kit" and was on show just now:

You cannot make things up like this. I've never seen a ruler with an integrated bottle opener. Or that pen ...
                  Last edited by sdack; 04 April 2018, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

I use an ad-blocker despite Michaels pleads not to use one. Phoronix.com is absolutely unusable without ad-blocker.
                    Out of topic but, Phoronix is one of the few sites which I have whitelisted on my ad-blocker. So, far I have no problems with it. NO fullscreen ads, no pop up ads. There are just a few ads between comments and at the sides. I've gotten used to them and they don't bother me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post

Its likely to be Greg I would say..

And yes he is competent
                      author of kdbus? lol, i hear cries of moron from post #8

Comment

Working...
                      X