Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Is Looking For Linux Kernel Developers

Phoronix: Apple Is Looking For Linux Kernel Developers

For reasons unknown, Apple is looking to hire Linux kernel developers in both Texas and California...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing good can come out of this.

Comment

Please tell me this is due to April 1. I seriously doubt Apple would use Linux on their devices (unless they already did).

Comment

One obvious project is Project Titan.

But the opening is listed.

Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 01 April 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          One obvious project is Project Titan.

But the opening is listed.

https://jobs.apple.com/us/search?#&s...&lo=0*USA&pN=0
          Another would be some lower power gear in their data centres.

Comment

Or there are simply no Darwin Kernel Developers with lots of experience on the market and Linux is the next closest thing...

Comment

They are looking for competent kernel developers. Not much else to it.

Comment

Last edited by k1e0x; 05 April 2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

It's prob the third or fourth closest thing next to FreeBSD, NetBSD and maybe Illumos. Unix is closer to Unix than Linux. I don't think Apple is going to drop Mach tho.. It would be kinda bizarre.
                  Why? Mach has no future and they'll have to drop it someday. Linux is obvious solution. I don't get the part about Unix and I bet you're not talking about apple's marketing bullshit?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Why? Mach has no future and they'll have to drop it someday. Linux is obvious solution. I don't get the part about Unix and I bet you're not talking about apple's marketing bullshit?
                    They won't drop Mach. The entire dynamic messaging system is at the core of their frameworks, even with Swift.

Comment

Working...
                    X