Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    The biggest letdown for me is GNOME 3.
    Giant title bars, air in the UIs, sometimes hard to understand icons (like the "New" icon in gedit), hard to minimize without enabling the icon in tweak tool, you need to jump into Activities to select a different window at times, CSD, extension breakage/slowdowns, etc.
    Precisely this. They managed to somehow copy the macOS look and feel but none of its usability. I don't know how this is even possible.

Comment

My biggest letdown in the last years is the missing effort/success to develop true decentralized Internet services.

I'd like to see
      • DHT Network/Implementation that offers "pubkey to encrypted network tunnel" with NAT hole punching and stuff
      • some kind of decentralized naming system Web of Trust like system to resolve easy to remember keys (Email/Phone number) securely & privately to a pubkey
      • all kind of services build on those technologies: Skype/WhatsApp replacement, IOT stuff, SSH/Teamviewer, distributed & secured Packet manager (apt-get/dnf), file/data sync
      • probably needed: Proxy nodes that are installed on off-the-shelf routers for hole-punching purposes and provide a battery efficient gateway to the network

Notable mentions for this dream: telehash, Tox & Ring, wireguard-p2p, GNU Name System, IPFS
      Last edited by Mathias; 02 April 2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

so it lost ground to kde 4?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinP View Post
          Good, out-of-the-box prime functionality, especially for Nvidia
          lol, nvidia and open source in one sentence

Comment

KBUS was my bet.

Comment

Giant title bars, air in the UIs, sometimes hard to understand icons (like the "New" icon in gedit), hard to minimize without enabling the icon in tweak tool, you need to jump into Activities to select a different window at times, CSD, extension breakage/slowdowns, etc.
              Simple, they didn't rip off how OSX worked, just some of the crappy UI candy. If you want OSX on Linux just hack on GNUstep until it's a working desktop. GNUstep is API compatible with OSX. Once SystemPreferences.app in GNUstep has sections for audio/video/network, and GNUstep has a working web browser. It'll be similar to working on OSX, just lacking half the apps. Shouldn't be too hard to port most of the third party Mac apps to Linux though.

Comment

Easy: Btrfs

Comment

Systemd. Or is it too soon to see it crash and burn and be replaced with Open-RC yet?

Comment

Originally posted by mbello View Post
                    Easy: Btrfs
                    While I would agree that btrfs could be better, it is still the only viable option for certain huge home directories for me that require backups that are consistent to be made while the filesystem is still being used.

Comment

The thing I miss the most is Kurumin Linux. A lot of passion and effort went into that little distro, and I was quite disappointed it went away. I used to carry a Kurumin mini-CD everywhere I went. Thanks, Carlos Morimoto!

Kurumin Linux 4.0

Comment

Working...
                      X