Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOMedia Announces Public Release Of AV1 Video Format

Phoronix: AOMedia Announces Public Release Of AV1 Video Format

Adobe, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla, Netflix, NVIDIA, and others making up the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia) have today announced the public release of the AV1 royalty-free video format!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the beginning of an epic fight between New world (internet companies) vs Old world (media mafia companies).

Comment

All i want now is for hardware decoders to start shipping in SoCs for android tv boxes and in Intel/AMD/Nvidia apus and gpus as AV1 uses rather a lot of cpu to decode. I hope that VLC player and MPC-BE release a new version soon with a software decoder.
      Last edited by hajj_3; 28 March 2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Hardware decoders are a long way away and the industry is moving back towards using shader cores for video decoding and post-processing on SOC and GPUs. That's how AV1 will be decoded for some time. I don't expect any decoder block hardware that can do it 100% to come around for a long time.

Comment

Will av2 pick up the techniques the first version decided to drop ?

Comment

When can we benchmark our computers for AV1 encode and decode performance? Would be nice to see what hardware it requires for playback on typical resolutions. Anyway, this is great!

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
              All i want now if for hardware decoders to start shipping in SoCs for android tv boxes and in Intel/AMD/Nvidia apus and gpus as AV1 uses rather a lot of cpu to decode. I hope that VLC player and MPC-BE release a new version soon with a software decoder.
              VLC 3.0 should have an experimental AV1 decoder already http://www.zdnet.com/article/videola...-degree-video/

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                When can we benchmark our computers for AV1 encode and decode performance? Would be nice to see what hardware it requires for playback on typical resolutions. Anyway, this is great!
                I hope to try to dig into the code later today to see if it is benchmark-friendly.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  VLC 3.0 should have an experimental AV1 decoder already http://www.zdnet.com/article/videola...-degree-video/
                  Says nothing about AV1 specifically being hardware accelerated though, so it's likely CPU decoding aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                    I don't expect any decoder block hardware that can do it 100% to come around for a long time.
                    That's around 2 years unless someone is rushing it hard. Since there are also all major hardware companies in the supporters list I suspect they will appear sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                    X