Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Signs Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Alpha Being Inbound

Phoronix: More Signs Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Alpha Being Inbound

Public details are still scarce about Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, but it's looking like the alpha release might not be too far out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Redhat will wait on DNF3 to be out the door before they release an Alpha unless there using Development Snapshots of it already

Comment

Would love to see 4.15+ Kernel and glibc 2.28+ in RHEL 8.x! We can all dream ^_^

Comment

it's expected that it will default to a GNOME Wayland session. i dont think it will be Default. not till 9 atleast

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          it's expected that it will default to a GNOME Wayland session. i dont think it will be Default. not till 9 atleast
          That would not be a very smart move in my opinion with GNOME on Wayland in its current state.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post

That would not be a very smart move in my opinion with GNOME on Wayland in its current state.
            Well, Canonical reverted back to Xorg on 18.04 because several things were broken on the current state, within Gnome and other programs.

Since Redhat sells its services for not so cheap prices, they certainly do no want to piss off their corporate clients for the sake of the novelty that is Wayland.

Comment

I think they'll wait until TLS 1.3 is ratified before bringing out the Beta, that's not something they want to backport like the did with OpenSSL 1.0.2 recently for HTTP2

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Well, Canonical reverted back to Xorg on 18.04 because several things were broken on the current state, within Gnome and other programs.

Since Redhat sells its services for not so cheap prices, they certainly do no want to piss off their corporate clients for the sake of the novelty that is Wayland.
                Unlike Canonical, Red Hat has enough expertise and talent to make Wayland enterprise ready by the time RHEL 8 is released.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post

my guess it'll Default to Xorg, not Wayland as Michael suggested in his Story.. Wayland just isnt up to Par yet compared to Xorg.

Comment

Hope they'll come around on BTRFS for RHEL 9. XFS is pretty underwhelming. The BTRFS + docker integration can't be beat, and everything is on Docker these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X