Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Spring Update Bringing WSL Unix Sockets Support, OpenSSH / Curl / Tar Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Spring Update Bringing WSL Unix Sockets Support, OpenSSH / Curl / Tar Support

Phoronix: Windows 10 Spring Update Bringing WSL Unix Sockets Support, OpenSSH / Curl / Tar Support

Microsoft's next installment of Windows 10, the Spring Update, is bringing some interesting changes for those Linux enthusiasts that may be stuck using Windows at times. The experience may be more bearable with more Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) improvements and even native Curl and Tar support coming to the OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any chance on a spectre update if anything has changed and also a disk and virtualization benchmark vs Ryzen preferably with updates there too if there is any.

Comment

Originally posted by aliquis View Post
      Any chance on a spectre update if anything has changed and also a disk and virtualization benchmark vs Ryzen preferably with updates there too if there is any.
      Coincidentally, there will be a variety of interesting Windows vs. Linux tests soon -

Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Linux on Windows on Ryzen and Intel vs native I guess would work too.

I want to see virtualization and file system performance but with on Ryzen too just not I tel pre and post patch but for the current hardware and situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          the Docket Linux client can run among other possibilities.
          Docker*

Somewhat sad news is it was one of my reasons for justifying a linux machine at work since Docker on Windows didn't have GPU access for compute work, which was quite nice for quickly trying deep learning projects.

Question, with WSL can you assign a GPU to X there and output to a display?(Maybe a reverse of the KVM Looking Glass feature gnif maintains?) Would be interesting to see Windows offer a way to utilize the GPU for linux guests like that.

Comment

I wish I could be happy about this but Microsoft have such a bad track record of being non-interoperable and braking stuff that it's hard to let go and be happy about this. Examples of their non-interoperable crap includes: Internet Explorer with poor web standards support, Microsoft Outlook's abysmal handling of plain text email and pushing of non-standardized rich text formats, Microsoft Office which wasn't even compatible with its own Office Open XML standard, Notepad which doesn't support the extremely common line ending formats used by Mac OS X and UNIX-like systems.

There's signs that they're changing (eg with Edge being more standards compliant than IE and with their increased use of Open Source licensing in their software), but I hope the FOSS crowd remain vigilant about how much we welcome in this historically anti-social business. Are they just trying to get close enough to us that they can bite, or is the culture within Microsoft's management actually changing now that Bill Gates is long gone from it?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              Are they just trying to get close enough to us that they can bite, or is the culture within Microsoft's management actually changing now that Bill Gates is long gone from it?
              This really has nothing to do with Linux or open source. It's about MS wanting to give web developers on their platform the tools they are asking for, which right now are the Linux/OSX tools that web developers are used to and like. MS wanting to change these things is kind of meaningless - they won't, because it will just piss off the users they are trying to help out, but if they did no one on linux would care anyway. It's not like people are going to stop using tar on linux because MS changes how it works on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Question, with WSL can you assign a GPU to X there and output to a display?(Maybe a reverse of the KVM Looking Glass feature gnif maintains?) Would be interesting to see Windows offer a way to utilize the GPU for linux guests like that.
                No, currently WSL cannot assign or access a GPU. But you can run a remote X session to a Windows or cygwin based Xserver. And X has the ability to use the GPU on the Windows side, though I don't know how well that works.

Microsoft is also partnering with Ubuntu to create an "Enhanced" Linux guest support under Hyper-V using the XRDP linux server and RDP client on the host. This combination works under WSL, without GPU acceleration.

So lots of options.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

No, currently WSL cannot assign or access a GPU. But you can run a remote X session to a Windows or cygwin based Xserver. And X has the ability to use the GPU on the Windows side, though I don't know how well that works.

Microsoft is also partnering with Ubuntu to create an "Enhanced" Linux guest support under Hyper-V using the XRDP linux server and RDP client on the host. This combination works under WSL, without GPU acceleration.

So lots of options.
                  Ah, so Docker won't be able to use the GPU still on Windows for the time being. Still requires running Linux with access to it from the sounds of it.

Comment

The docker client already worked. You just have to enable access to the docker service (running on the Windows host) over tcp. It's normally disabled by default.

Comment

Working...
                    X