Microsoft Developer Hoping To Land XArray Support For The Linux 4.17 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
    I think everything that needs lists. Like filesystems, netfilter, almost anything I can think of.
    Radix trees is a generic data structure API in the kernel used by many parts.
    So this would mean a change for the core.
    For those wondering, this is why kernel API/ABI instability is a good thing.

This developer didn't only make this change, he sent patches to migrate subsystems using the older API too.

Comment

Is anybody surprised that btrfs implements functions that are incorrect? I don't have any problem with MS fixing this, but I don't know about replacing it across every applicable use case though. It might be too big for a one man team.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
        Don't panic!
        Of course even MS needs access to performant operating systems and file systems.
        Indeed, can't afford Azure to be a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I don't have any problem with MS fixing this, but I don't know about replacing it across every applicable use case though.
          The mail was sent to all maintainers of the various systems affected, if they ack or review it then it's probably ok (I mean, who more than the subsystem maintainer knows what is best, right?).

It's not like this stuff gets in under their noses, and Torvalds won't merge a thing until his trusted vassals tell him it's all ok.

It might be too big for a one man team.
          Nah, this isn't too big for a one-man team. XArray is a high-skill job, not a high-manpower one.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Is anybody surprised that btrfs implements functions that are incorrect?
            is anybody surprised that kernel implements functions that are incorrect?

Comment

Still have nagging misgivings from the old SCO litigation. I guess MS' current strategy is to be OS-agnostic, but still...

Can we be sure there are no MS patents on using XArray for anything? Really??

Comment

It seems in Microsofts interest to help develop Linux because Microsoft has part of their business relying on Linux nowadays: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azu...linux/overview
                That may take time getting used to.
                Don't thrust your tridents toward Matthew. He's doing his share of CS weight lifting: https://marc.info/?a=148471862500003&r=35&w=2

Comment

Working...
                X