Google Finds Clang On Windows To Be Production-Ready For Building Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nslay View Post

Now that the abomination that is Windows Mobile 10 is practically dead... we just need wait for the PC market to die off and sink Microsoft with it. Then we'll be free. Hobbyist PC will probably continue for a couple decades after before that goes away. Linux and BSD will remain very much alive on the PC. Microsoft will be reduced to a brand name that might be re-sold to a toilet paper company some day.

The alternatives aren't look any better though... Apple? Eh... Android? Heck no! Hopefully a mobile Linux is successful.
    Are you idiots still on about that? Sorry but no the PC is not dead and it will not die for the foreseeable future.

Fact: As long as people need to do actual work on a computer, they'll need a PC.
    Fact: As long as new code is being written, they'll need a PC.
    Fact: As long as people still want to play videogames, they'll need a PC.
    Fact: As long as students need to complete homework, they'll need a PC.

Does Asshole McHipster who only uses it to post to social media about how he thinks people love his crappy handwritten poems need a PC? no, but most people aren't Asshole McHipster in spite of the contempt people seem to have in this forum for the common user. Most people still need a PC even if it's just at their job or just to play videogames, which videogames by the way is an exploding market, and won't reach market saturation for at least another 2 or 3 decades. That is to say until all the boomers whose generation isn't used to playing videogames dies off and is replaced by people who were born in the 80s and early 90s for whom videogames were first really normalized.

What you people are doing is the equivalent of looking at the growth of the Rust programming language, and then at how English has plateaued as it became universal and then declaring English dead. Failing to realize both that they don't compete in the same market and English isn't going anywhere.

Meanwhile the only way Windows's market share is going anywhere is only if the following two conditions hold true:
    1. If the incentive to switch to Linux or BSD or whatever happens to be the popular thing at the time heavily outweighs the disincentive against it vs sticking with Windows
    2. If big OEMs start marketing and pushing out the alternative into consumer's hands

It can be argued back and forth as to whether Linux has achieved #1, but #2 certainly has yet to be achieved and until it does consumers are only going to use what they can find to buy in a store, which means they're not going to use Linux, which means that Windows share is going nowhere. Valve could have easily done it but Valve is Valve so they screwed it up.

Comment

If Mozilla did something similar, would that mean Wine-Gecko could finally be shipped in the Debian repositories?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Meanwhile the only way Windows's market share is going anywhere is only if the following two conditions hold true:
        1. If the incentive to switch to Linux or BSD or whatever happens to be the popular thing at the time heavily outweighs the disincentive against it vs sticking with Windows
        2. If big OEMs start marketing and pushing out the alternative into consumer's hands

It can be argued back and forth as to whether Linux has achieved #1, but #2 certainly has yet to be achieved and until it does consumers are only going to use what they can find to buy in a store, which means they're not going to use Linux, which means that Windows share is going nowhere. Valve could have easily done it but Valve is Valve so they screwed it up.
        This right here, i need Excel (no open office won't work due to tables, vba, and DLLs), autoCAD, inventor, outlook (yes with meetings, alternate accounts, etc.), and a suite of vendor provide selection tools that are all windows based. Many of them have no hope of working in WINE as they are crappy internally produced tools that i'm sure aren't to any particular spec. Half of them will only print to your default printer. Re-training employees will always make the cost of any change too high. The short term productivity loss would be a huge cost.

Anyways, Mechanical Engineering land will likely always use windows, at least until the major CAD packages and excel are available for ${OTHER_OS}.

My kid's school websites and some of their homework only seems to work correctly on windows with flash or java. Again this is niche stuff, with no money for a re-write and most schools run windows in the classroom/library, so all of those things work there. I also have to have dual language input for my kids (simplified Chinese) which i never seemed to be able to get to work right on my desktop but was all of 5 minutes to get setup on the wife's windows laptop.

I love me some linux for my home desktop and home "server", however.

Comment

Are you idiots still on about that? Sorry but no the PC is not dead and it will not die for the foreseeable future.
          Agreed.

Fact: As long as people need to do actual work on a computer, they'll need a PC.
          Not counting software development, we're moving towards a point where just about everything else you need to work on a PC for can be done just as well with Chrome OS, Android, iOS, or just about anything with a good browser. We're not there yet, but that's the clear trend.

Fact: As long as new code is being written, they'll need a PC.
          Yes, but we're a tiny portion of the market.

Fact: As long as people still want to play videogames, they'll need a PC.
          Yes again, but this market is being chipped away by Android and iOS on one side and consoles on the other. But it won't disappear and I suspect it will shrink slowly. (Edit: actually, you're right that it's growing. I still think it will reach a certain point and then start to shrink. The Nvidia Shield TV can do some damn cool stuff, it just needs more games before my kids will care.)

Fact: As long as students need to complete homework, they'll need a PC.
          Nah, an Android tablet or Chromebook will work just as well for homework.

Now again, I think your point stands for at least the next twenty years. The PC market isn't going away, and Microsoft isn't going away. But I think both will erode.

Comment

On the original point, my son wants to learn C++ on Windows. (All his damn first person shooters are on Windows.) I set up Clang for Windows, and then found out I needed Visual Studio anyway for a linker that doesn't suck. I figure if I need VS anyway, why bother with Clang?

Comment

I'm having trouble posting. Probably because I'm quoting a post with vulgar words? Let's try this without quoting Luke_Wolf:

PC sales have been steadily decreasing for at least the past 5 years. It has been on the rise recently, but let's see how long that will last.

Look, it's very simple. As long as computer-ignorant (I apparently can't use your vulgar term) users are spending money on non-PCs, that's depriving Microsoft of income. And that userbase probably eclipses users who need a PC to do specialized tasks. So, if these computer-ignorant users all stopped buying Windows PCs (PC sales are trending down, so it's happening slowly), would Microsoft's business applications be enough to keep it afloat? I sure as heck hope not.

Now then, do continue to refute all imagined positions and points I never made, and don't even necessarily hold.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                Microsoft ended up helping with this by providing documentations, looks like Microsoft has something to gain from this.
                free (as in beer) compiler?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  On the original point, my son wants to learn C++ on Windows. (All his damn first person shooters are on Windows.)
                  until recently most popular fps was csgo(which supports linux)
                  Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  I set up Clang for Windows, and then found out I needed Visual Studio anyway for a linker that doesn't suck. I figure if I need VS anyway, why bother with Clang?
                  clang better implements standard c++. msvc still misses parts of c++98

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    until recently most popular fps was csgo(which supports linux)
                    clang better implements standard c++. msvc still misses parts of c++98
                    Running only CS:GO is like having a TV with one channel.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post

Now that the abomination that is Windows Mobile 10 is practically dead... we just need wait for the PC market to die off and sink Microsoft with it. Then we'll be free. Hobbyist PC will probably continue for a couple decades after before that goes away. Linux and BSD will remain very much alive on the PC. Microsoft will be reduced to a brand name that might be re-sold to a toilet paper company some day.

The alternatives aren't look any better though... Apple? Eh... Android? Heck no! Hopefully a mobile Linux is successful.
                      But Microsoft is making good money off of OneDrive/OneDrive for Business, Azure and Outlook.com/Outlook Premium. So they're not going to die off if the PC market dies off, they'll simply be reduced to like 40% of what they are now.

Comment

Working...
                      X