John Carmack Goes On Coding Retreat With OpenBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grok View Post
    What's out of retro character is writing this on fakebook instead of a web 1.0 blog.
    Hmmm... now where does he work, these days? Maybe there's a clue in that.

So, no upgrades every five seconds, and docs on the hard drive.
    The reality of modern userspace development is that you're extremely limited if you can't pull in additional packages as-needed. Unless your project is already very well-defined, or you've explicitly elected to do something fairly self-contained and low-level, you'll probably want to be searching around and installing new packages every now and then (and needing to satisfy dependencies of those). I used to d/l the sources and build all my dependencies from scratch, but that was a long time ago & I haven't looked back.

It's interesting to be able to function without the Internet. It's like old days when things used to come with a manual
    Man still works, and it's still my first move (your local manpages have the best chance of being consistent with your local devel package versions). Many packages still have docs, now including HTML.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      Don't forget that many scientists still run Fortran code too! Think NASA and the like.
      Not because it's a good language. They're either too stuck in their ways to learn anything new, or still believing it's faster.

Restricted pointers closed most of the performance gap, and anyone wanting really fast numerical code is using GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

for German streets, however, we actually have real driving school, some 20 or so theoretical hours, plus a similar amount of practical driving, and real, theoretical test plus usually 45 minutes+ practical examination. The German driving license usually cost around 2000 EUR, if you pass the first time, which quite some do not. Btw. foreigners who do not know how to drive are really annoying on the German Autobahn, especially if they do not drive rightmost, ... :-/
        2000 EUR? Wow, that's a lot for a single driving license, maybe they give you a nationalist license too?

What makes you think that only you have "real driving school", "20 or so theoretical hours, plus a similar amount of practical driving", "real, theoretical test plus usually 45 minutes+ practical examination", and that only "foreigners" "do not know how to drive", and that only "foreigners" "are really annoying"?

BTW; if you ask me, having public streets with no speed limit is a plain dumb choice, but who am I to judge? I'm not german after all.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          BTW; if you ask me, having public streets with no speed limit is a plain dumb choice, but who am I to judge? I'm not german after all.
          You personally might find it dumb, but it works for Germans. The majority drives responsibly.

Btw technically there is a speed limit. You are only allowed to drive as fast as you can see ahead. But that is somewhat of a nonbrainer.

Comment

2000 EUR? Wow, that's a lot for a single driving license, maybe they give you a nationalist license too?

What makes you think that only you have "real driving school", "20 or so theoretical hours, plus a similar amount of practical driving", "real, theoretical test plus usually 45 minutes+ practical examination", and that only "foreigners" "do not know how to drive", and that only "foreigners" "are really annoying"?

We pay atleast as much in finland. My annual "temporary" car-tax is around 300€ (Not including any forced insurance fees etc).And they changed (finnish byrocrats) our driving licenses to validate every 15 years. (Used to validate year you turn 65 old).

Welcome to Scandinavia/Europe/Finland where everything costs like a hell and in return you just get tightening regulation of everything.
            Last edited by Dehir; 06 March 2018, 05:37 AM.

Comment

The nationalist license already goes to Trump, Putin and Erdogan. I also did not say we are the only ones with "real driving school", and neither did I say "all foreigners". Also driving without limit on a proper road, with a well services car (did I mention we have serious bi-yearly inspections?) is certainly less stupid than allowing everyone buy and run around with guns, ... ;-)
              Last edited by rene; 06 March 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dehir View Post

We pay atleast as much in finland. My annual "temporary" car-tax is around 300€ (Not including any forced insurance fees etc).And they changed (finnish byrocrats) our driving licenses to validate every 15 years. (Used to validate year you turn 65 old).

Welcome to Scandinavia/Europe/Finland where everything costs like a hell and in return you just get tightening regulation of everything.
                yep, annual tax for our MINI Countryman SD is also about 270€, you pay much more in Germany for bigger engines and CO2 emissions. I think older SUV or Corvette could be around 1000€ (guesstimate, never had one) ;-)

I hope we do not get this 10y+ validity thing :-/ I know Spain also has a forced medical check every 10 years, ...

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Not because it's a good language. They're either too stuck in their ways to learn anything new, or still believing it's faster.
                  Fortran may not be a Good Language, but it's a Good Enough language, just like C. I mean, it's been around for 65 years and it's still in widespread use and it turns out it's ideal for today's massively parallel algorithms (the things misnamed "AI" in the muggle media) so it's even having a bit of a renaissance.

Just wait. COBOL is waiting around the corner ready to pounce like the zombie apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                    Code doesn't rot.
                    Yes it does, "rot" happens because the rest of the environment the software runs in does not support it anymore.

Most banks still run Fortran code from the 80's in their mainframes, and the reason is simple:
                    Banks core operation didn't change much in the last few centuries. Only thing that is changed is the interface for the front-ends, assuming they need that at all. Since they are using a backend server anyway, they can afford to not care in the slightest about what OS is running in there.

Is this a bad example? yes it is.

Also, I'm pretty sure you meant COBOL, banks here have mostly COBOL, not Fortran.

IMO, everything should be c, maybe some fortran for management, lisp for intellectuals, php for pragmatic people.
                    Costs of development have been ignored to write this post.

Also PHP should just die in a fire.

Comment

You can also have public streets with completely unreasonable bullshit low speed limits none in his right mind follows, like in many places in Italy where people just don't care and drive like madmen.

Like large-ish roads with barriers (not highways) where you can go up to 70km/h or even 50km/h, or normal straight roads in the country where top speed is still 50km/h because there are houses every few hundred meters.

Comment

Working...
                      X