Java EE Becomes Jakarta EE As Oracle Wouldn't Let Eclipse Keep The Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Oracle are a terrible company when it comes to OSS and they deserve all the criticism they get. But changing the name from Java EE to Jakarta EE is pretty benign, it barely registers. Java is their trademark, it really doesn't matter that much, the software being FOSS is more important. And now it's under the stewardship of someone other than Oracle which can only be a good thing (for the fools who use Java, I wouldn't touch it...obviously).
    You are right, but it is still infuriatingly funny that they somehow found a way to be corporate douchebags about open-sourcing a piece of software.

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post

Yep, their management is through and through a non-technical type it seems.
      They refuse to take any long-term smart decisions of platform building if it ends up costing them in the short term.
      With abandoning Java and neglecting Solaris they basically gave up on everything Sun worked on.

The only consolation is that Oracle is a declining company.
      I was just about to ask if anyone's aware of an OpenSource project that Oracle actively contributed to like other companies.
      Solaris and Java were bought from Sun, and Oracle has spent most of the time fighting to close off as much as possible.
      MySQL might be a different side of the same coin.
      Both java and mysql have enjoyed enormous adoption and success. However, I can't help but wonder how much more successful Oracle itself would've been if they had embraced the OpenSource community, instead of fighting tooth and nail to hinder it for decades while alternative technologies gained adoption and maturity.
      Given the success of those specific parts of Oracle's portfolio, it's logical to assume that there must have been very intelligent, technology-minded people there at some point in time to at least make the acquisitions of the pertinent tech.

Comment

Hm, I'm surprised it's not called OpenJEE or back to the original J2EE name. No "Java" in the name there!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Hm, I'm surprised it's not called OpenJEE or back to the original J2EE name. No "Java" in the name there!
          Good points there; otherwise, why not just call it Indonesia? Jakarta == Java EE; Borneo == Java, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X