No announcement yet.

Steam Survey Purports A 0.28% Linux Gaming Marketshare For February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should people like Linux gaming? I tested so many Steam Linux games since 2012 and came to one conclusion: Most Linux games are simply Windows created binaries in absence of performance, function and stability. You will find yourself in a situation where the publisher try to fix your problems while sending you bashscripts created on Windows and ask you if you like to filter Windows return codes afterwards. That is not a bad joke that happens to me while trying to get Battleblock Theater to run on Linux. The only reason for such a behavior is that the company that created this Linux port miss to get a Linux system to test their stuff. I really spend enough Linux fanboy money to get Linux gaming happen .. well I need to say: I fixed my PC gaming problems lately by getting a PS4 Pro.
    Last edited by Naquatis; 02 March 2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

The survey still prefers new installs. In the last few weeks I sent in 8 of them by just setting up random distros for testing.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        The survey still prefers new installs. In the last few weeks I sent in 8 of them by just setting up random distros for testing.
        This is my experience too. On windows I rarely get the survey. But on Linux I frequently get it cause I switch distros.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          No , it is not. I hopped between Solus , Ubuntu and Mint for trying some things and i didn't get one.

However , i installed Win10 and got it. Installed Steam via Wine and got it again.

When i was using Win7 , i was prompted by it nearly every 2 or 3 months. However , i can't get it on Linux nearly 1.5 years.

Comment

It should be noted that people aren't leaving Linux, they're just leaving Steam. For whatever reasons.

Comment

#Naquatis 90% of the games that run on linux are ported from windows, linux gaming wasnt even a thing until couple of years ago. Thing is,many games get proper linux support,as well as drivers management for graphics carda etc. Linux is growing and improving more than ever, while windows is kicking in the same place for over a decade,with the only "major" improvement being directx 12,and to be fair most of the dx 12 games are microsoft ones + they run equally good or even better with vulkan. Last night i installed Solus 3,the first distro that enabled amdgpu by default for my gcn 1.1 r9 270. I had amazing performance in games,the only noticable difference was little bit lower fps on some csgo maps,but nothing unplayable. I was surprised,couple weeks back csgo ran like sh*t, now it runs smooth. This proves to me that while windows is counting on its capabilities of running windows-only software, linux is improving each and every day and when the time comes - microsoft better be prepared,cuz it aint gonna be pretty for them

Comment

I get the survey around 6 out of 10 times when I reinstall Steam on my Windows laptop or through Wine. I've not got it once in the past 5 years I've been using Steam on Linux. Not even when reinstalling and trying out different distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  It should be noted that people aren't leaving Linux, they're just leaving Steam. For whatever reasons.
                  Where to be exact?

Gog? Gog don't have so many games like Steam has?

Itch.io ? Don't make me laugh.

People are going away to Windows is the answer. With dual booting or complete migration.

I know so many called " Linux gamers " playing and buying Windows games.

So , Linux users are not honest. They are buying Windows games on Steam and screaming as " Port it to Linux"

Dev is like ; " i made sale to you anyway , why should i port it? "

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    This is my experience too. On windows I rarely get the survey. But on Linux I frequently get it cause I switch distros.
                    I get on Windows if I log onto Steam after not having used it for over a year. I believe it triggers on client updates plus 6 months since last survey. So when several client updates are queued you get a chance for every single one.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

I hopped between Solus , Ubuntu and Mint for trying some things and i didn't get one.
                      How many times? I installed about 30 of them. Just 3 probably won't cut it.

Comment

Working...
                      X