No announcement yet.

Outreachy Is Now Accepting Applications For Their Summer 2018 Internships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my country amazingly there's a law to mandate a certain proportion of disabled people among your employees (unless your company is small, or you pay a fine/waiver)

So at worst, such initiatives consider you're as good as disabled if you get fucked in the ass, or are an arab, or obese etc. or perhaps a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
      In my country amazingly there's a law to mandate a certain proportion of disabled people among your employees (unless your company is small, or you pay a fine/waiver)

So at worst, such initiatives consider you're as good as disabled if you get fucked in the ass, or are an arab, or obese etc. or perhaps a woman.
      Jesus christ what sort of insane politicians are you voting in

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
        Wait, what's the point of me having all this privilege if those people are just going to do an end-run around and get opportunities anyway?
        It isn't some massive opportunity that you're missing out on.

It essentially boils down to a fixed-term contract with probably slightly above average wage rates (depending on how long the internship lasts, I think my salary is higher than what they'd get). And you have to move away from your home for the Summer and be able to produce some results at the end of the program. Who is in a position whereby they can take up this 'opportunity'? Most people have responsibilities.

It sounds like a massive hassle to me with not a lot of reward.

Comment

This program suggests that only heterosexual white males contribute to "free open source software projects" voluntarily, while everyone else does not contribute unless being paid for. Interesting message.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
            Second comment, the Outreachy outrage is reaching new records. And always with the same arguments...
            and always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              As for racism and discrimination, as far as code is concerned I'm full proponent of meritocracy, in the end if their code is good, it should be allowed in, regardless of whether some woman/trans was paid to write it or not. Last time I checked, OSS world is white male dominated, being the hypocritical white male sexist that I am, I wanna see more chicks at OSS conferences, sue me (sarcasm). Interestingly enough, I don't recall people crying over Google giving _their_ money to _students_ exclusively to work on OSS projects, that's discrimination against people who aren't students isn't it? Yes it is, nobody cares. GSoC contributions are judged on their own merit, not on the fact that some student was paid for it.
              Last edited by Guest; 18 February 2018, 07:57 AM. Reason: why bother

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post

Translated: open to everyone but cis white males. This shit ought to be illegal.
                Seems like everyone from Europe and Asia would be excluded. This includes Whites, Middle Easterns, people from the Indian subcontinent, and East Asians. Though, I do understand that these people are frequently representative in the IT/tech industries. *I am not going to agree or disagree with this practice. I am just pointing out that you are ignoring a huge majority of the Earth's population here... *

Though, I am curious on how they will treat people like North Africans; who are like the Middle Easterns in culture, language, and religion. I say this because my other coworkers found it hard to believe that our Sudanese coworker was in fact, an Arab due to his dark skin. "Race" is after all an continuum, not made of set lines.
                Last edited by CTown; 17 February 2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  and always right.
                  Whatever. If that's what you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
                    Jesus christ what sort of insane politicians are you voting in
                    Yeah, better have the disabled rot unemployed, right?

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
                      Whatever. If that's what you believe.
                      Not belief, fact-checked statement.

Integration does not happen unless you actually integrate, doing your "minority-only job with blackjacks and hookers" is still segregation and still wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X