Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Of The MPEG-2 Patents Have Expired

Phoronix: The Last Of The MPEG-2 Patents Have Expired

Just like with the recent expiry of the MP3 patents and AC3, the last of the MPEG-2 patents have now expired...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does any of this apply to techniques used in more modern codecs? Wondering if it would allow any additional 'tricks' to be used in AV2, for example, assuming there will be an AV2.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how much this improves the codec landscape. Discussion on Raspberry Pi - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=67&t=201449

Comment

last of the patents for this video codec expiring
        My understanding is that the bit layout that is mpeg2 is video coding format, and an actual implementation of coding/decoding is a codec. So it seems to me that the correct formulation would be that the patents on the format expired.

Since there are multiple codecs implementing mpeg2, talking about "this video codec" doesn't really make sense.

Though there seem to be some terminological confusion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_coding_format

Comment

Originally posted by Thue View Post

My understanding is that the bit layout that is mpeg2 is video coding format, and an actual implementation of coding/decoding is a codec. So it seems to me that the correct formulation would be that the patents on the format expired.

Since there are multiple codecs implementing mpeg2, talking about "this video codec" doesn't really make sense.

Though there seem to be some terminological confusion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_coding_format
          Don't be dense

Comment

Originally posted by Thue View Post

All the codecs for mpeg2 have to implement the same algorithms, because they have to decode the same formatted information. Those algorithms are what is patented, the implementation details don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
              Don't be dense
              I don't believe Thue was trying to be pedantic. Perhaps the distinctions are obvious to you, but it sounds like this poster is new to this level of understanding.

Don't be mean.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                I don't believe Thue was trying to be pedantic. Perhaps the distinctions are obvious to you, but it sounds like this poster is new to this level of understanding.

Don't be mean.
                With that lack of knowledge he/she would make for a good patent lawyer.

Comment

I don't see the benefit of this.
                  TV shows and streams as well as physical discs are largely encoded in h264 and hevc. Where is MPEG 2 still having an impact?

Comment

I believe some DVDs use MPEG-2

Comment

Working...
                    X