No announcement yet.

A 2018 Status Update On The Royalty-Free AV1 Video Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, the one that's said to be 3000 times slower than HEVC. I'm sure many people would want to encode a single movie for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post

AFAIK They want to continue development at one point as an experimental codec after AV1 is frozen (and optimised). Compared to AV1 and HEVC, Daala is much simpler and even incomplete it already reached HEVC quality levels. Currently however, AV1 is priority.
      OK, that makes sense. Did you see Mozilla posting anything about it?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Aw yeah, throw some more wasted time down the pipe. The next codec noone will ever use besides a few FLOSS zealots. Is xiph.org good for... anything? All the codecs that are actually in use (FLAC, VPn, Opus) are outside jobs moved into the Umbrella afterwards lol.
        Opus came about through a process similar to AV1, where the best aspects of Xiph's CELT and Skype's SILK were combined.

As for Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Speex, there are tons of users... they're just not shouting it from the rooftops.

For example, games which aren't developed in Unity or XNA (which have their own proprietary formats) overwhelmingly choose Ogg Vorbis for their music and sound effects because it's technically superior to MP3, royalty-free, and they're going to bundle the decoding library either way. (Both indie and big names, such as the .sb0 files in newer Ubisoft games.)

RPG Maker MV also dropped MP3 in favour of Ogg Vorbis.

As for Speex, aside from open-source VoIP stuff, it's also used in Siri, Xbox Live, the U.S. Army's Land Warrior system, Asterisk-based VoIP PBXes, and various other places I don't want to exhaustively list.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Octus View Post
          YouTube has both for legacy reasons and old browsers but I see them stream vp9 more often then not.
          youtube-dl picks the AVC track because it's of higher quality than VP9. Argue with them if you disagree.

Comment

The encoder is not optimized at all, there are a ton of optimizations which can be done easily, however i guess the current development is more targeted at getting the bitstream freezed, being nice to hardware devs and meeting compression goals..
            I guess we will see 720p30fps 8bit compression in realtime on GPUs in ~1,5 years.. But this is just a guess..

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
              > I wonder why they dropped the Daala transforms (daala_tx).
              Pro's and Con's are listed at https://people.xiph.org/~jm/daala/revisiting/
              I'm not talking about Daala's lapped transforms, but the daala_tx experiment in AV1. AOMedia dropped it in late January!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                What happened to Daala though after they hit some technical roadblocks? Will Mozilla still work on it, or it will be abandoned going forward?
                Daala became part of the AV1 project.

Daala, VP10, and Thor were all different projects to develop a next-gen video codec. The respective organisations decided to unite and bring together the best ideas from all of them to make AV1.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Octus View Post
                  AV1 is mostly Daala with parts from vp10 and some parts from cisco's format (forgot the name, but thor?).
                  That would be unfair to say. They started with the VP9 (libvpx) codebase. Then, they added features from VP10, Daala and Thor. Mostly VP10. It's just that the features with the most publicity came from Daala. Or that most other features are so cryptic that only insiders know their purpose. Finally, they scrapped half of it during the last few months (and are still doing).
                  Last edited by andreano; 06 February 2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
                    Daala became part of the AV1 project.
                    Only VP10 is officially dead – Daala and Thor will live on as experimental codebases, at least for now.

Presumably, Daala would continue their crazy experiments, and Thor with sane experiments that are cheap to encode. Or, they might actually merge! If I'm not mistaken, this was mentioned in IETF100.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time.
                      "The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 10% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time."
                      Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X