Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF Receives One Million Dollars Worth Of Bitcoin

Phoronix: FSF Receives One Million Dollars Worth Of Bitcoin

The Free Software Foundation's largest-ever single contribution came in the form of one million dollars worth of Bitcoin...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Look at the gnu, it's smiling!

Comment

yeahhhhhhhh...

Free Software rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        Very good. ;-) FLOSS projects are the future for sure. I wait for my Purism Librem 5 smartphone and we use out mined Monero/XMR to buy it.

all the negative people who told me it is not worth it we made ~900€ per month out of a 7500€ investment. (mining profit+Speculation profit)

I am sure there will be much more Cryptocurreny Million dollar people who will fund FLOSS projects in all topics. everything is possible from an open-source car to a open-source airplane.
        Highly doubt it. There is too much patented tech in a car & plane & pretty much everything else to be FLOSS. You would need backing in the terms of billions to get started, and that is just for R&D. Then billions more to make the things.

I am not sure Librem 5 will even make it, they said they are now switching to i.MX8M, which will be more expensive.
        Then they got the software stock that hasn't even been written since the iMX8 isn't out yet.
        All this spells delays & more delays and they could run out of $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          Very good. ;-) FLOSS projects are the future for sure. I wait for my Purism Librem 5 smartphone and we use out mined Monero/XMR to buy it.

all the negative people who told me it is not worth it we made ~900€ per month out of a 7500€ investment. (mining profit+Speculation profit)

I am sure there will be much more Cryptocurreny Million dollar people who will fund FLOSS projects in all topics. everything is possible from an open-source car to a open-source airplane.
          The fact you're putting a crypto currency in perspective to a fiat currency kinda defeats its purpose, doesn't it?

I mean, wasn't independence from fiat currencies one of the major things crypto currencies had going for them?

Now you have something with no intrinsic value that's only profitable when converted from/to the thing it's supposed not to be compared with and the whole market is fed by pretty much nothing but hype.

I remember their point was to have a stable value over time, too. Let's just say they didn't exactly succeed at that.

​​​​​

Comment

This is not sustainable funding, considering mining bitcoins and using bitcoin is consuming so much energy. Energy that usually comes from countries burning fossil fuel. Yet it's cool that so much dirty money is going to fund something so valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
              This is not sustainable funding, considering mining bitcoins and using bitcoin is consuming so much energy. Energy that usually comes from countries burning fossil fuel. Yet it's cool that so much dirty money is going to fund something so valuable.
              Well if they exchange the Bitcoins soon for something else then I'm sure it's fine. It may not be the most ideal donation but at least it has actual value and could be spent directly. At the very least, this money could be spent on things like server upgrades and developer workstations to anyone who wants to contribute. It can be enticing to work for open source when you get free hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
                Fiat currencies consume far more energy and banks take far greater fees for money transfers. FYI.

Comment

sell those bitcoins before it's too late!

Comment

By the time you read the news, it was worth $5.25

Comment

Working...
                    X