FSF Receives One Million Dollars Worth Of Bitcoin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeadsUpHigh View Post

When a single donation covers their normal target budget for a few years down the road I'd say that despite not being sustainable it's still pretty damn good.
    The FSF's 2016 expenses were $1,308,747, which means that this donation almost covers one year, not a few years. $780,972 of that is personnel fees.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
      Who else thinks they should / wouldnt be against them making the next gpl/ LGPL versions more like mpl ? A license can be even less liberal than that without suffering from the drawbacks of copyleft
      Nonsense, there are already enough licenses for either copyleft or permissive opensource, making more won't change the current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
        The FSF's 2016 expenses were $1,308,747, which means that this donation almost covers one year, not a few years. $780,972 of that is personnel fees.
        I knew it! Stallman's expensive tastes and soft spot for luxurious hotels are ruining the FSF!

(just kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
          Who else thinks they should / wouldnt be against them making the next gpl/ LGPL versions more like mpl ? A license can be even less liberal than that without suffering from the drawbacks of copyleft
          Yeah, the MPL protects developers, (and only the developers that decide not to release code at that) not users. Hell, just today there was an article here on Phoronix about an AMD compiler forked from LLVM. (which uses another license that protects developers, not users) Sure it has some improvements on LLVM, but I seriously doubt those will ever be seen by anyone that uses LLVM. It hurts everyone involved except AMD. And it's just another example of why copylefts are so important,. AMD got a free compiler that they have no obligations to.
          Last edited by duby229; 30 January 2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            Very good. ;-) FLOSS projects are the future for sure. I wait for my Purism Librem 5 smartphone and we use out mined Monero/XMR to buy it.

all the negative people who told me it is not worth it we made ~900€ per month out of a 7500€ investment. (mining profit+Speculation profit)

I am sure there will be much more Cryptocurreny Million dollar people who will fund FLOSS projects in all topics. everything is possible from an open-source car to a open-source airplane.
            The fact that something makes money for people doesn't mean it's legit in any shape or form. People who get in early on big Ponzi scams tend to make quite a bit of money, but that doesn't make the scam legit in any shape or form.

As for planes and cars using FOSS code, the development of cars and planes is just so expensive (literally billions per product even with a lot of off-the-shelf components around) that I just don't see the few companies who can afford to develop and sell those kinds of products while giving away their proverbial secret sauce. There's a reason why aerospace and auto makers all have massive legal departments almost dedicated to different facets of intellectual property.

With cars there's also the facts that their engines are very heavily controlled by embedded systems and thus much of their performance and efficiency is determined by the code running on the car's embedded engine control boards. This is just something companies will not to give away, specially when so many of them, particularly the German ones, have used and still use this software to cheat at emissions tests.

Additionally there's also the fact that theft of modern cars is very much built around hacking the embedded systems that control the door locks and ignition, something car makers would rather keep behind a lengthy and time consuming reverse-engineering process rather than letting thieves hit the ground running. Hell, stealing modern cars is so difficult most thefts are accomplished by stealing the keys, tricking or just bribing a dealership or someone working at one into ordering the thieves a new set of keys straight from the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I'm pretty sure kapour is referring to the people who do mining for a living, not hobbyists like yourself. I'm pretty sure such people do not use renewable energy, and it wouldn't surprise me if the people who donated $1 million worth of Bitcoins to FSF are not hobbyists.
              The "people" who donated all the bitcoin to the FSF are actually just a lucky guy who was involved with Bitcoin from the very early days and still happens to have his BTC (most people who were involved with bitcoin back in 2012/2013 ended up either spending their BTC on silly things or losing their wallet, because it wasn't worth much back then and they didn't care (this includes me ... shame)).

Here is the reddit thread that started it all (where he announced he is starting Pineapple Fund): https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com...itable_causes/

Comment

They wont accept it since they cant see the source code of the bitcoins

Comment

I hope they are smart enough to cash it out into dollars immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                    Now you have something with no intrinsic value that's only profitable when converted from/to the thing it's supposed not to be compared with and the whole market is fed by pretty much nothing but hype.

I remember their point was to have a stable value over time, too. Let's just say they didn't exactly succeed at that.
                    ​​​​​
                    The exact same arguments were made (with some degree of truth) about the US dollar when America went off the gold standard in 1933.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      I'm pretty sure kapour is referring to the people who do mining for a living, not hobbyists like yourself. I'm pretty sure such people do not use renewable energy, and it wouldn't surprise me if the people who donated $1 million worth of Bitcoins to FSF are not hobbyists.
                      Strange to say that about people you know nothing about.

Comment

Working...
                      X