FSF Receives One Million Dollars Worth Of Bitcoin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    who exactly forces you to use fossil fuels? last time i checked my 6KWh battery system of my house we run on 10,25KWp Solar power plant and a heat and power system as additional backup. what argument do you have if you run it on wind energy and you do heating your house and rooms with the heat from cryptocurrency systems?
    I'm pretty sure kapour is referring to the people who do mining for a living, not hobbyists like yourself. I'm pretty sure such people do not use renewable energy, and it wouldn't surprise me if the people who donated $1 million worth of Bitcoins to FSF are not hobbyists.

Comment

Instead of instant converting those bitcoins to fiat money they can develop bitcoin ecosystem where they pay programmers using bitcoin and buy other stuff via bitcoin.

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post
        I am not sure Librem 5 will even make it, they said they are now switching to i.MX8M, which will be more expensive.
        Then they got the software stock that hasn't even been written since the iMX8 isn't out yet.
        All this spells delays & more delays and they could run out of $$$.
        They said during the start of their crowdfunding that they were hoping for the iMX8 to be released in time and that they would use it if possible. Now it's announced and the GPU drivers are slowly shaping up so everything seems to line up currently at least, but who knows what will happen the forthcoming year.

My point being that it's fine that you're sceptic, but since the i.MX8M was a planned posibility from the beginning the price per chip is likely not a large concern of theirs. Delays from Freescale are a risk however.

Personally what I'm most sceptic about is the porting of GNOME to a form factor in a year. Plasma Mobile already works and just needs a lot of polishing, but there is not even a buggy alpha available for GNOME. If they don't announce a long-term plan the forthcoming month or two I'll bet money on that the GNOME shell on mobile will be either incredibly limited or delayed at the launch of the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
          Now you have something with no intrinsic value that's only profitable when converted from/to the thing it's supposed not to be compared with and the whole market is fed by pretty much nothing but hype.​​​​​
          Yeah, because paper currency has a ton of intrinsic value and its value isn't given by hype (hope that it will not go bust).

It's just a difference of scale. Paper currencies are significanly more common and in use, so any effect on them has less ripple.

But we had paper currencies that failed, and why did they fail? because people never fully believed in them and never really used them enough to keep them stable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperi...on_in_Zimbabwe

I remember their point was to have a stable value over time, too. Let's just say they didn't exactly succeed at that.​​​​​
          That was a long-term goal, and they will eventually get there once enough people start using them directly.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Fiat currencies consume far more energy and banks take far greater fees for money transfers. FYI.
            citation needed

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Fiat currencies consume far more energy and banks take far greater fees for money transfers. FYI.
              Yeah.. 10 transactions with bitcoins uses less energy than one million transactions with fiat corrency. But for some value of 10 < x < 100 000, bitcoins already consume more.

Comment

Originally posted by thebear View Post

citation needed
                Lol.
                You have to take in account all the expenses of banking.
                Every bank employee has to drive/get to work. A mid-tier mining rig (ETH) consumes about 3kW of energy. A petrol powered car produces ~100hp (~75kW) of power at full throttle and optimal RPM. Add to that all the bank's PCs, ATMs, security (yes, security people come with company diesel van to fill ATMs every now an then, even bring cash to bank), lightning in the banks and you get a world where a couple of kWs per person isn't all that much to run a currency.

Comment

Who else thinks they should / wouldnt be against them making the next gpl/ LGPL versions more like mpl ? A license can be even less liberal than that without suffering from the drawbacks of copyleft

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
                    Who else thinks they should / wouldnt be against them making the next gpl/ LGPL versions more like mpl ? A license can be even less liberal than that without suffering from the drawbacks of copyleft
                    I would be against it. Free software under the GPL is there to guarantee freedom for the user. Open Source software under the MPL only guarantees freedom for the software developer or distributor. Sure, a lot of people are happier with less freedom, but not everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
                      This is not sustainable funding, considering mining bitcoins and using bitcoin is consuming so much energy. Energy that usually comes from countries burning fossil fuel. Yet it's cool that so much dirty money is going to fund something so valuable.
                      When a single donation covers their normal target budget for a few years down the road I'd say that despite not being sustainable it's still pretty damn good.

Comment

Working...
                      X