KWin Developer's Response To The GNOME CSD Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I don't think there is going to be a winning side. Gnome will implement CSD with no other options and KDE will make it optional with a configuration. Those people that enjoy slavery will keep using gnome and those people that enjoy freedom will keep using Plasma.
    Isn't it Martin Flöser who demands that everyone should also support SSD?
    This goes both ways, but i think the larger point here is, that they could offer the KDE SSD as CSD if they wanted. They have the code already. They need to do some refactoring and maybe some architecture changes. But that is certainly possible. They just don't want to. That makes it look like stubbornness to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Whatever pissed you off about Gnome 3 when it was first released....oh....7 YEARS AGO this April....may not be there anymore.
      Nah Gnome 3 is still bad, you Gnome users just have Stockholm syndrome

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

Isn't it Martin Flöser who demands that everyone should also support SSD?
        This goes both ways, but i think the larger point here is, that they could offer the KDE SSD as CSD if they wanted. They have the code already. They need to do some refactoring and maybe some architecture changes. But that is certainly possible. They just don't want to. That makes it look like stubbornness to me.
        No? He is a window-manager developer, and already supports disabling SSD (needed for CSD), the problem it is not the job a the window-manager to implement CSD, the ENTIRE point of CSD is that it is not done by the window-manager.

Comment

The most stupid thing about all the Gnome vs KDE hate is that it's entirely the dumb-ass fans doing it. The actual Gnome and KDE developers attend each others conferences, and go out for a beer afterwards...

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

No? He is a window-manager developer, and already supports disabling SSD (needed for CSD), the problem it is not the job a the window-manager to implement CSD, the ENTIRE point of CSD is that it is not done by the window-manager.
            But he could. That is my point. He could make the KDE Window decorations available as CSD. The only thing that is stopping that is some principle.

Comment

But he could. That is my point. He could make the KDE Window decorations available as CSD. The only thing that is stopping that is some principle.
              Don't you think principles like usability, compatibility and even familiarity are important? It's pretty stupid to break work flows. Of course that doesn't matter, GTK and Gnome devs have proven time and time again that they don't care at all what they break.
              Last edited by duby229; 28 January 2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Don't you think principles like usability, compatibility and even familiarity are important? It's pretty stupid to break work flows. Of course that doesn't matter, GTK and Gnome devs have proven time and time again that they don't care at all what they break.
                I have used KDE on my workstation for about 2 years. KDE is doing exactly that with their single click feature. I liked it and got used to it very easily. But when ever i switch to a Windows machine, i have to get used to the different behavior. Let that be up to the users. If they don't like the changes they won't use it. I can see where Gnome is trying to go, and while there are somethings i like there are also things i don't. The Gnome window decorations have similarities with the ones on MacOS, so it's not like it is completely out of the blue.
                Martin won't loose anything if he makes his window decoration code support both CSD and SSD.

Comment

Okay, time for Epic Rap Battles of History: GTK VS Plasma! Begin!

Comment

I have used KDE on my workstation for about 2 years. KDE is doing exactly that with their single click feature. I liked it and got used to it very easily. But when ever i switch to a Windows machine, i have to get used to the different behavior. Let that be up to the users. If they don't like the changes they won't use it. I can see where Gnome is trying to go, and while there are somethings i like there are also things i don't. The Gnome window decorations have similarities with the ones on MacOS, so it's not like it is completely out of the blue.
                    Martin won't loose anything if he makes his window decoration code support both CSD and SSD.
                    It's configurable behavior. If gnome had chosen to do the same thing they would have made no other options.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                      Study after study has shown that when it comes to Flat vs Skeuomorphic icon schemes that comprehension rates especially from unskilled or first time users is HIGHER with Skeuomorphic icons rather than Flat.
                      Flat style design isn't the opposite of skeuomorphic design. Many flat icon themes reassemble real life objects, and some of them still rely heavily on shadows.

By the way: comprehension rate is a very misleading statement. What was always brought to the table in this kind of debate (involving UI) was the cognitive "load" associated with user interface use, particularity those with poor o non-existent contextualization.

Comment

Working...
                      X