Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 sucks - can anyone help fix this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 sucks - can anyone help fix this problem?

I'm not sure where this should go. I asked on the ubuntu forums and askubuntu but the first one is the worse and most unhelpful site I have ever been to. I want to try a new OS but I used it for such a long time and I'm not sure which to switch to.

It's difficult for me to believe that the other distros are like this. I upgraded last night to 17.10 from 17.04 and my keyboard layouts/settings/shortcuts are messed up now. I guess I accidentally changed the configuration during the upgrade but now my keyboard is unusable. I feel like just breaking the right shift key off my keyboard because it's unusable now. it changes the language so I removed them all but English but that doesn't help. I can't use that shift key for anything.

I went to the keyboard settings to no avail. There is nothing listed there for 'right shift' key shortcut or anything related.

Maybe someone here who uses Ubuntu can help? I really didn't want to post because this problem seem so stupid but I configured some software on this OS and it's a pain to re-install and re-configure it but I guess I will have to if I can't soft this problem. Ubuntu and Gnome have really screwed up (it deserves a crude and profane description) as the options and appearance is a disgrace.

Sorry for the rant. I better stop now. I need to try to calm down.

This is an odd place to ask for help, you might have better luck at Reddit linuxquestions or linuxquestions.org.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier, I'm guessing you've done something else by now. Sometimes - not always, but sometimes - when I upgrade my Linux distribution I get wacky errors like that. I would do the following, if you can:
    - back up your files
    - wipe out your home folder subdirectories '.gnome', '.gconf', and anything related to gnome or gtk under '.config' In your file explorer you may need to find an option 'Show Hidden Files' or similar to see them, since anything starting with a '.' in the name is hidden by default on Linux.
    - log out, restart the computer, log back in, and see what happens. That should restore everything to default settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      This is an odd place to ask for help, you might have better luck at Reddit linuxquestions or linuxquestions.org.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier, I'm guessing you've done something else by now. Sometimes - not always, but sometimes - when I upgrade my Linux distribution I get wacky errors like that. I would do the following, if you can:
      - back up your files
      - wipe out your home folder subdirectories '.gnome', '.gconf', and anything related to gnome or gtk under '.config' In your file explorer you may need to find an option 'Show Hidden Files' or similar to see them, since anything starting with a '.' in the name is hidden by default on Linux.
      - log out, restart the computer, log back in, and see what happens. That should restore everything to default settings.
      You're correct. The problem was solved. I only had one reply at the time - you can read what they said so I didn't follow up with a post regarding the solution and fix.

I did go to the irc ubuntu support channel and askubuntu - I think it was the askubuntu site in which I received help that was able to fix the problem. It was my fault originally as I do believe during the upgrade, there was an inquiring of whether I wanted to change the shortcut for language inputs and I foolishly changed it. Then, when the upgrade was complete, I couldn't find anything in the settings to change that particular shortcut.

Thanks for your reply. If I should need something like that in the future, I will try to recall/recollect this info.

Btw, do you know anything about wayland or gnome/kde/xfce updates/changes? I would like to try the latest but I think I should wait until I can upgrade/build a new computer. However, I was wondering if it's worth learning/trying wayland some time? Is it better to use Intel (onboard graphics) or invest in a new AMD Radeon card (like an RX 550/560?)?

I was trying to stay on top of all the new info regarding Spectre and Meltdown but still don't know what to do on that. I guess just wait. I was wondering if it is worth the time to try Fedora and maybe Arch when I get a new computer - I didn't think it's worth it until I can get a new system - use a SSD etc. No point on the legacy HDDs - the install takes too long. Might as well stick with Ubuntu for now.

Comment

Choosing to upgrade the Ubuntu version in the Software Update program (doing a "dist-upgrade") has always been problematic to me.

And, even when I would make a clean install on a separate root partition, using the old configuration files in my home partition sometimes would make some programs not work well.

The best solution is to: have separate root and home partitions; always make a clean install; remove the configuration files (hidden files and directories starting with dots, in the home partition); and just reconfigure your programs again. (If you use LTS versions, it's not that much of a trouble having to do it every 2 years.)

Comment

Working...
        X