Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtIO DRM Window Server Support: Letting Guest VMs Interface With Host's Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by johanb View Post
    Would be cool if you for example could start up a headless Windows VM and then render some Windows application that doesn't work well in Wine such as Photoshop in a window on the host WM, that would make it feel native even though it's actually inside a VM.
    Yeah it would, but there would be a ton of magic involved.

This can map Linux applications running in the guest to the Linux compositor running in the host, and this is great and all, but Windows applications aren't designed to interface with Linux compositors, so they won't work.

Unless someone replaces the whole Windows GUI components with a dedicated compatibility layer.

MORE LAYERS OF REDIRECTION FOR THE ABSTRACTION GOD!!!!

Leave a comment:

• GizmoChicken
    replied
    Originally posted by johanb View Post

Would be cool if you for example could start up a headless Windows VM and then render some Windows application that doesn't work well in Wine such as Photoshop in a window on the host WM, that would make it feel native even though it's actually inside a VM.
    I haven't done it myself, but I think that you can do what you describe using the "RemoteApps" feature of Window Server’s Remote Desktop Services.

You can read here how, a few years ago, someone described doing something similar to what you describe, but with Windows Server 2012 running as a VM on a remote Linux server.

Leave a comment:

• CuriousTommy
    replied
    Just so I understand, the Guest OS still doesn't have access to the Host GPU unless you use something like VirtualGL, right?
    Last edited by CuriousTommy; 14 December 2017, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    so, uhh - I don't understand - why?
    what is the benefit of doing this? (i.e. does it allow something running in a VM to access raw GPU performance?)

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

what is the benefit of doing this? (i.e. does it allow something running in a VM to access raw GPU performance?)
    My guess is, if you have VM with Linux and a wayland Desktop with this it will render directly into a host buffer instead of using QXL, VNC, SPICE, etc. and the host compositor can handle how it gets rendered.

I also assume in the future would be possible to pass each windows from the VM compositor to the host compositor as a series of buffers, so like on Mac VM Fusion you can have applications from the VM running as a window in the host compositor seamlessly.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VirtIO DRM Window Server Support: Letting Guest VMs Interface With Host's Compositor

Phoronix: VirtIO DRM Window Server Support: Letting Guest VMs Interface With Host's Compositor

Collabora's Tomeu Vizoso is working on a interesting VirtIO DRM patch that lets clients running within a virtual machine communicate with a display compositor of the host system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X