Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox DDX Released As xf86-video-vboxvideo 1.0

Phoronix: VirtualBox DDX Released As xf86-video-vboxvideo 1.0

As part of the push for upstreaming VirtualBox guest driver support in Linux, not only are kernel drivers being upstreamed driver-by-driver, but their DDX driver has now done its official X.Org christening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't it quite late? Wayland is on a rise, and X.Org slowly dying,...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

There is only a few wayland desktops and applications. It is wayland that will die. The Nvdia driver does not even support wayland.
      just lol

Comment

There is only a few wayland desktops and applications. It is wayland that will die. The Nvdia driver does not even support wayland.
        Wayland is the future. Xorg is big bulky code base that was designed decades ago. It's hacked so bad I can't believe it gets as good of performance as it does. Most all the large distros have expressed some form of interest in Wayland.

Comment

just lol

Comment

A really scientific response you have. You have not noted in 4 years that in Linux world applications comes first then programming interfaces.
            the quality of the answer mirros the quality of the statement.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
              We are still years from Wayland becoming mainstream, and even when that happens the LTS distros will still keep using Xorg for 5 years more or so.

Also this is a guest driver. Virtualization is used to run older Linux distros too, and they won't see Wayland there.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                We are still years from Wayland becoming mainstream, and even when that happens the LTS distros will still keep using Xorg for 5 years more or so.

Also this is a guest driver. Virtualization is used to run older Linux distros too, and they won't see Wayland there.
                Funny, because Fedora and Ubuntu (just two minor linux distros) just started activating Wayland as default for anything that supports it. Also, my VMware guest supports Wayland without problems. I've been using Wayland on Intel and AMD graphics and it just works. Xorg may not be going away any time soon, but I think Wayland will become mainstream sooner than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
                  Funny, because Fedora and Ubuntu (just two minor linux distros) just started activating Wayland as default for anything that supports it.
                  *only on GNOME.

That is why I'm saying we are years from Wayland becoming mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                    The long term plan for X is that X will use the very same GBM/EGL/OpenGL drivers that Wayland does. This is being done through the Glamor project, which is a X11 EXA driver which is a thin layer between X's EXA and GBM/EGL/OpenGL (the same driver API used by Wayland).

As for Wayland, I never really saw the point in it. It is true, X needs a new extension for interapplication security that would restrict apps to their own Window, but some apps like screensavers and screengrabbers can be given special permissions, but otherwise the X System is fine. There are X facilities for Double Buffering and Vertical Syncronization which can be used to avoid visual artifacts. Its best to build on the foundation we already have.

With X, network transparency is naturally there. Despite what some people say, X is still fine for network transparency and modern apps can still use it. Apps should be written so that if DRI and shared memory is not available, they fall back to using GLX and sending pixmaps over X protocol. XRender can be made to work with Network Transparency as well, in fact it benefits network transparency since you should be able to load some pixmaps into the server and recomposite them as needed for redrawing. I also think the X Server should include PNG/GIF/JPG image support and h265 and AVC video streams to make network transparency work better.

Comment

Working...
                    X