X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airlied
    replied
    Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
    Was just wondering if anyone knew of any way to force modesetting on for r200 series cards, specifically RV250
    I believe they don't have it on because it breaks 3d; well the 3d isn't very good anyway...
    so I want to try KMS and Plymouth.
    Add radeon.modeset=1 to the kernel command line for r100/r200s

R600 the code is there, the PCI IDs are not, I'll probably enable them in rawhide post-F10, it was just a matter of bad timing.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    The vga=0x318 is not necessary correct for vesafb. That one doesn't work on my system, for example. I can use 0x31A or any of a number of others.

The article also says that R600 works with KMS, but that doesn't seem to be the case yet (for stock Fedora/Rawhide, anyways). As stated on the Open Source AMD/ATI boards, that still requires building your own DRM and releated bits from the modesetting-gem branch of mesa/drm.

KMS in Rawhide definitely isn't working on R600 on my machine without using vesafb, anyways.

Leave a comment:

• gQuigs
    replied
    Was just wondering if anyone knew of any way to force modesetting on for r200 series cards, specifically RV250
    I believe they don't have it on because it breaks 3d; well the 3d isn't very good anyway...
    so I want to try KMS and Plymouth.
    Last edited by gQuigs; 28 October 2008, 01:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mityukov
    replied
    Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
    Well, think in both things connected

You press the power button and then it fades from black to your desktop or login screen in a smooth animation

Instant boot + smooth graphics = Holy grail!
    Yeah, and don't forget to turn display ON, only when you feel (won't even guess by what receptor) that kernel is loaded ;-)

Leave a comment:

• puelocesar
    replied
    Originally posted by quintesse View Post
    No! I want startup to be so quick that Plymouth isn't needed anymore!
    Well, think in both things connected

You press the power button and then it fades from black to your desktop or login screen in a smooth animation

Instant boot + smooth graphics = Holy grail!

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    "Having Plymouth will not lead Linux to having a greater market-share"

NEVER underestimate the value of SHINY.

Leave a comment:

• TechMage89
    replied
    A lot of stuff still is buggy with KMS, and I think they also need to have a common api they can safely freeze, before they include it in the kerenel.

The idea here is to keep from introducing too many changes that have the potential to break things at the same time. All the same, I would like to find some patches which could add KMS to 2.6.28 so I can set it up myself

Leave a comment:

• mityukov
    replied
    So, it's useful and wanted feature, and there is a working code. Why it was denied for inclusion into 2.6.28, then?.. :-(

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by mityukov View Post
    What kernel version is there in Fedora? %) I've read recently, that KMS is not included even into forthcoming 2.6.28...
    2.6.27. They just add in the KMS patches, etc.

Leave a comment:

• mityukov
    replied
    What kernel version is there in Fedora? %) I've read recently, that KMS is not included even into forthcoming 2.6.28...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X