Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Closer Look At Red Hat's Plymouth

Phoronix: A Closer Look At Red Hat's Plymouth

Back in July we shared Red Hat's intentions to replace RHGB with Plymouth, a new graphical boot process that is able to benefit from the latest Linux graphics capabilities. Red Hat engineers had primarily designed Plymouth around a forthcoming feature we've talked about quite a bit known as kernel mode-setting, which provides end-users with a cleaner and flicker-free boot experience. In September in The State of Kernel Mode-Setting we then shared more information on Plymouth along with a brief video. Most recently we published another video of Plymouth that shows the tighter integration between the boot process and starting the GNOME Display Manager. Today though we are looking at Plymouth and its different plug-ins along with providing a few more videos.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cruel world

Why can't we have a flicker free, beautiful boot process that takes just 10 seconds to complete?

I hate the fact that I need to wait 10 seconds just to reach grub! That's riddiculous!

I want splashtop thingy with a full linux distro and a beautiful process like this Plymouth!

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
      Why can't we have a flicker free, beautiful boot process that takes just 10 seconds to complete?

I hate the fact that I need to wait 10 seconds just to reach grub! That's riddiculous!

I want splashtop thingy with a full linux distro and a beautiful process like this Plymouth!
      well thats nothing linux can fix
      most mobos really need to show all of that useless stuff during the boot process...
      would be more usefull if you had the option to skip all of that -_-

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
        No! I want startup to be so quick that Plymouth isn't needed anymore!

Comment

What kernel version is there in Fedora? %) I've read recently, that KMS is not included even into forthcoming 2.6.28...

Comment

Originally posted by mityukov View Post
            What kernel version is there in Fedora? %) I've read recently, that KMS is not included even into forthcoming 2.6.28...
            2.6.27. They just add in the KMS patches, etc.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So, it's useful and wanted feature, and there is a working code. Why it was denied for inclusion into 2.6.28, then?.. :-(

Comment

A lot of stuff still is buggy with KMS, and I think they also need to have a common api they can safely freeze, before they include it in the kerenel.

The idea here is to keep from introducing too many changes that have the potential to break things at the same time. All the same, I would like to find some patches which could add KMS to 2.6.28 so I can set it up myself

Comment

"Having Plymouth will not lead Linux to having a greater market-share"

NEVER underestimate the value of SHINY.

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
                    No! I want startup to be so quick that Plymouth isn't needed anymore!
                    Well, think in both things connected

You press the power button and then it fades from black to your desktop or login screen in a smooth animation

Instant boot + smooth graphics = Holy grail!

Comment

Working...
                    X