Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRM Updates Land For Linux 4.15; Torvalds: "There's Something Odd About DRM People"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

You probably need to re-adjust that scale considering how Linus has admitted that his rants have gone to far and said that he's going to try to avoid saying things like how he thinks someone is so stupid it's amazing they haven't gotten themselves decapitated by a door. The profanity laden rant directed at that security guy who broke userspace and refused to lift a finger to fix it, instead insisting userspace devs should just try to avoid having their stuff broken by his mistake, is probably about the top of the scale now.
    Could you please provide a link to that rant? I haven't seen it and I'd like to read it.

Comment

You can't look a gift horse in the mouth. So, a few extra header files. Whats the big deal. Maybe they are there to be used for functionality that has not been implemented. In any case, not a big deal. If one complains enough about it, then they will stop contributing altogether and we are left with no drivers.

Comment

I believe Linus's original complaint was about header files in some other driver, not an AMD one... but Linus was specifically targetting machine-generated headers (which we use as well) and so a couple of AMD developers pushed back.

After some discussion (including Linus pointing out a sorting issue in one of our header files) the conclusion was that Linus didn't actually have a problem with machine-generated headers in principle - but had just found they tended to have more problems than every-line-typed-by-a-primate headers. There was also an unresolved discussion related to instancing of blocks and register sets, basically the tradeoff between (larger header files + easier to read code) and (smaller header files + more complex code).
        Last edited by bridgman; 18 November 2017, 02:27 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Header files causing issues? Another reason to write an OS in Rust.
          I just threw up a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            Tip
            it always amuses me how some assholes feel entitled to lecture others

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
              Could you please provide a link to that rant? I haven't seen it and I'd like to read it.
              Tried to find it using a Google search, but it seems like the recipient of that rant has used the EU data protection law to get Google to de-list links to any pages that contain said rant (literally said at the bottom that search results had been removed because of a request using it). Bing wasn't much help either as they seem to have also complied with the recipient's request but didn't state this (thou it could just be Bing being a bad search engine).

I did however find a whole subreddit dedicated to Linus' rants

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                it always amuses me how some assholes feel entitled to lecture others
                No lecture; just a tip. It was my way of trying to get you to view yourself as others see you and realize how fucking annoying you can be. I knew it would go over like a lead balloon, but it made me laugh, so there's that..

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
                  You can't look a gift horse in the mouth.
                  That is literally the job of the tree maintainers. Their one key power over contributors - many of whom would like to submit whatever crappy code they have in their own source trees to make their lives easier - is being able to say "no, this is crap, it doesn't go in."

Yes, there are practical considerations, but ultimately you have to use that power or the quality degrades.

Comment

Working...
                  X