The Libdrm & xf86-video-amdgpu Repositories To Follow For FreeSync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Libdrm & xf86-video-amdgpu Repositories To Follow For FreeSync

Phoronix: The Libdrm & xf86-video-amdgpu Repositories To Follow For FreeSync

Many Linux gamers are excited by the prospects of soon having FreeSync support working on the purely open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What are the chances of the other drivers being able to use this feature? Is it a "soft" feature, or does the hardware need some magic in it as well? I would find it hilarious if the nouveau and Intel drivers could be hooked up and suddenly become FreeSync compatible

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
      What are the chances of the other drivers being able to use this feature? Is it a "soft" feature, or does the hardware need some magic in it as well? I would find it hilarious if the nouveau and Intel drivers could be hooked up and suddenly become FreeSync compatible
      It's very much a hardware feature afaik.

Comment

"purely open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver" you forget the fimrware

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

It's very much a hardware feature afaik.
          Let me fix that for you: "It's very much a hardware feature of the monitor and display interface afaik.

I see no reason why modern Nvidia and Intel GPU's wouldn't be able to make use of it with the right software.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Let me fix that for you: "It's very much a hardware feature of the monitor and display interface afaik.

I see no reason why modern Nvidia and Intel GPU's wouldn't be able to make use of it with the right software.
            I did not research the specifics, but my logic tells me this certainly needs some support and signaling going on in the output transmitter not to transmit a constant pixel stream, ...

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              The driver is purely open source. The hardware is not, and that's where the microcode comes in.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The driver is purely open source. The hardware is not, and that's where the microcode comes in.
                I've enough of this bullshit. Microcode is not hardware. If you think it's hardware then let's hardcode everything and stop distributing it.
                If you want the flexibility that the microcode gives you then please at least be honest about it with your users. I don't ask you anything else.

Regarding freesync, is there any nouveau developer interested to implement it? It would be funny if they do
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  you forget that firmware is part of hardware, not driver
                  Last edited by pal666; 28 October 2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    I've enough of this bullshit. Microcode is not hardware. If you think it's hardware then let's hardcode everything and stop distributing it.
                    you are imbecile. if they hardcode it, i will not be able to get fixes, so go fuck yourself. microcode is not run on host cpu under your operating system, so the only people spewing bullshit here are people who call it driver. and at the same time those imbeciles are happy with same closed firmware if they need soldering to replace it.
                    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    Regarding freesync, is there any nouveau developer interested to implement it?
                    nouveau developers can't implement hardware features. btw, i see correlation between { imbeciles who call driver closed because its fimware is replaceable } and { people who are interested in nouveau(i.e. who sponsor most linux-hostile hardware vendor) }
                    Last edited by pal666; 28 October 2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X