Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Pre-4.15 AMDGPU DC Patches To Test Out This Weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More Pre-4.15 AMDGPU DC Patches To Test Out This Weekend

    Phoronix: More Pre-4.15 AMDGPU DC Patches To Test Out This Weekend

    For Radeon RX Vega Linux users or those with newer Radeon GPUs and just wanting to make use of HDMI/DP audio, there are some new "AMDGPU DC" patches ready for testing this weekend...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Patch-Testing

  • #2
    I am only waiting for goddamn Freesync ...
    According to a previous article this is not implemented in 4.15 yet right?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
      I am only waiting for goddamn Freesync ...
      According to a previous article this is not implemented in 4.15 yet right?
      Only in AMDGPU-PRO... The upstream open-source code doesn't have FreeSync/AdaptiveSync ready for 4.15.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
        I am only waiting for goddamn Freesync ...
        You and me both. We'll be waiting for a loooong time I think.

        Edit: And also, how good will it be on release? I was there early on when it was released on Windows, and honestly, it wasn't great in the beginning. It eventually became better once they implemented FRTC and support for Freesync in borderless window that it reached it's full potential.
        Last edited by Brisse; 10-14-2017, 10:54 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Edit: And also, how good will it be on release? I was there early on when it was released on Windows, and honestly, it wasn't great in the beginning. It eventually became better once they implemented FRTC and support for Freesync in borderless window that it reached it's full potential.
          An educated guess: They either reuse their existing FreeSync code on Windows for Linux (essentially opensourcing it in the process), meaning you get the support at the level it exists today on Windows. This is the expected route, but it hinges on DC being greenlit for 4.15.
          The other possibility, is if DC is blocked again. Then you'll either not get it at all (most likely), or get a new implementation developed by amd (not likely) or enthusiasts (think radv or similar) that might suffer the same growing pains as the original FreeSync, or have completely different problems to deal with. But it wouldn't be FreeSync, it'd just be an implementation of the VESA standard Adaptive Sync.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, unless I'm misunderstanding, (entirely possible) I thought Freesync is not just compatible with Adaptive Sync, it actually -is- Adaptive Sync with a brand name stamped on it? Where-as G-Sync was derived from it, but intentionally made to be incompatible with it?
            Last edited by duby229; 10-14-2017, 12:16 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Unluckily, the recent changes to amdgpu also brought a significant regression for me: Resume from S3 no longer works. See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103277 for my bug report.

              So now I need to keep two amdgpu patches stashed/applied in my local git repository, one to revert the commit for above bug, another one to revert the commit that prevents X11 to even start for me, which I reported in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102820.
              Last edited by dwagner; 10-14-2017, 12:17 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Well, unless I'm misunderstanding, (entirely possible) I thought Freesync is not just compatible with Adaptive Sync, it actually -is- Adaptive Sync with a brand name stamped on it? Where-as G-Sync was derived from it, but intentionally made to be incompatible with it?
                FreeSync is an implementation of Adaptive Sync. There can be many such implementations. Adaptive Sync is just the name of the standard.
                G-Sync, iirc, was developed before Adaptive Sync became a standard. While it solves a similar problem, it's most certainly not Adaptive Sync, as it doesn't in any way attempt to be compatible with it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by randomsalad View Post
                  FreeSync is an implementation of Adaptive Sync. There can be many such implementations. Adaptive Sync is just the name of the standard.
                  G-Sync, iirc, was developed before Adaptive Sync became a standard. While it solves a similar problem, it's most certainly not Adaptive Sync, as it doesn't in any way attempt to be compatible with it.
                  Ah, I see. Is Freesync entirely compatible with it, or does deviate from the standard at all? I'm just wondering if it shouldn't be implemented at a lower level then so that more drivers can use it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Ah, I see. Is Freesync entirely compatible with it, or does deviate from the standard at all? I'm just wondering if it shouldn't be implemented at a lower level then so that more drivers can use it?
                    FreeSync extended Adaptive Sync (and ported it over HDMI, as Adaptive Sync only works on Display Port, you know VESA folks, they are not living in the real world), and put more stringent quality standards.

                    So any company that wants to make something similar must make their own XXXSync implementation (especially for HDMI).

                    A quick note: most modern laptop screens are run on an eDP (embedded displayport) ribbon cable (which is amazing for finding a compatible replacement, as most screens have the same interface now) so even if say Intel does not make a fully fledged FreeSync, laptop screens will still benefit.

                    see the following two threads:
                    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co..._adaptivesync/

                    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...n_of_freesync/


                    Although I don't see why they can't just use the same physical protocol in the cable, so that they can use FreeSync monitors normally. The protocol for that is set in stone (as monitor controllers aren't usually updated).

                    In the specific case of Intel (as NVIDIA won't use something that is inter-operable with others), I'm suspecting they may even be able to just shuffle around some papers through their patents agreement and use FreeSync directly, if they really wanted.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X