Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.19.4 Released

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.19.4 Released

With X.Org Server 1.20 not expected for release until early next year, Adam Jackson of Red Hat today issued the X.Org Server 1.19.4 point release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well that's good. Maybe they were somewhat aware of the complaints about scheduling the release to coincide with Red Hat's schedule, and decided to throw us a bone.

Comment

FYI, the upcoming 1.20 release also contains support for drawing tablets in xwayland, so you can actually use a tablet in programs like the Gimp when running wayland.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the time where X is mostly not relevant except for running old software.

Comment

I'm pretty sure things will work better with X and a good driver than Wayland with a bad driver, or in Wayland with a good driver than in X with a bad driver. Or at least that's a gut feeling about it.

I don't think I'll care much about efficiency : Wayland will be on heavyweight desktops first (like hi dpi is) and apparently the way to run them is to throw hardware at them. lol
          I think I would like a Wayland hi dpi desktop (technically these are separate issues but really you have Gnome 3 supporting both, KDE I don't know, Cinnamon supports hi dpi and will likely support Wayland in the future, MATE or XFCE I don't really know they might do Wayland low dpi first) but I would want a large 3200x1800 desktop monitor specifically, not happening it seems because of "4K!!1!"

Comment

4K for desktop monitor is overkill. Its more a hassle than useful on my laptop as well. Because apps and games break all the time because of high-dpi. Its either the app or the system compensating for high-dpi and it causes issues. Thats on windows. I dont expect linux to do it any better.

Comment

Working...
            X