Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.19.4 Released

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.19.4 Released

With X.Org Server 1.20 not expected for release until early next year, Adam Jackson of Red Hat today issued the X.Org Server 1.19.4 point release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Server-1.19.4

Well that's good. Maybe they were somewhat aware of the complaints about scheduling the release to coincide with Red Hat's schedule, and decided to throw us a bone.

Comment

FYI, the upcoming 1.20 release also contains support for drawing tablets in xwayland, so you can actually use a tablet in programs like the Gimp when running wayland.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the time where X is mostly not relevant except for running old software.

Comment

I'm pretty sure things will work better with X and a good driver than Wayland with a bad driver, or in Wayland with a good driver than in X with a bad driver. Or at least that's a gut feeling about it.

I don't think I'll care much about efficiency : Wayland will be on heavyweight desktops first (like hi dpi is) and apparently the way to run them is to throw hardware at them. lol
          I think I would like a Wayland hi dpi desktop (technically these are separate issues but really you have Gnome 3 supporting both, KDE I don't know, Cinnamon supports hi dpi and will likely support Wayland in the future, MATE or XFCE I don't really know they might do Wayland low dpi first) but I would want a large 3200x1800 desktop monitor specifically, not happening it seems because of "4K!!1!"

Comment

4K for desktop monitor is overkill. Its more a hassle than useful on my laptop as well. Because apps and games break all the time because of high-dpi. Its either the app or the system compensating for high-dpi and it causes issues. Thats on windows. I dont expect linux to do it any better.

Comment

Working...
            X