Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.20 Expected Around January With New Features

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.20 Expected Around January With New Features

X.Org Server 1.19 is already almsot one year old and while X.Org is currently well off its six month release cadence, version 1.20 is being figured out for an early 2018 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that certainly would be a nice set of updates

Comment

Why keep improving Xwayland when you can make those improvements in Wayland proper? Isn't Xwayland just a bandaid until Wayland can do things on its own? I'm afraid the more effort we put into Xwayland, the longer it's going to be around, and the longer we'll have to to deal with the performance hit of passing data through this middle-man XWayland.

Comment

I find it rather irritating that they're making adjustments to suit nvidias lack of compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
          Why keep improving Xwayland when you can make those improvements in Wayland proper? Isn't Xwayland just a bandaid until Wayland can do things on its own? I'm afraid the more effort we put into Xwayland, the longer it's going to be around, and the longer we'll have to to deal with the performance hit of passing data through this middle-man XWayland.
          A lot of software such as GIMP and many others don't support wayland yet. Those require Xwayland to function under Wayland compositors.
          Xwayland is not a bandaid until wayland can do things on its own. it's a convenience layer for x11 software that doesn't support wayland yet. The limitation in this case is not in wayland itself.
          It's not practical yet to expect people to drop x11 software when not all of them have wayland capable alternatives.
          In terms of performance, I did some testing months ago when I had a nvidia kepler card (on Pascal at the moment).
          Xorg(NVIDIA) = 60FPS.
          xwayland (nouveau) =35FPS.
          xorg(nouveau) = 30FPS.
          Those numbers may of course be different for other graphics manufacturers but you get the gist.

Comment

good news, I hope ubuntu 18.04 come with this too

Comment

Many application won't be ported to Wayland for a long time, if at all (especially closed-ish source ones), having a decent compatibility layer is crucial to migrate everyone on Wayland.
              Once everyone is on wayland then it will start making sense dropping X support in applications, or for the very least supporting Wayland natively.

Comment

What about glamor making use of Vulkan for the most difficult paths?
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Apple did the same in the past, I remember the problem when ppl come from Windows xp to vista and a lot of software didn't work

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Many application won't be ported to Wayland for a long time, if at all (especially closed-ish source ones)
                    Yes, especially games…Thousands of games will never get Wayland support.

Comment

Working...
                    X