X.Org Server 1.20 Expected Around January With New Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    RH'er in charge, release schedule realigned to benefit RH. Typical.

That's alright, January is soon enough. These are some great looking changes.
    I'm completely happy to release the thing as soon as it's done, if that's before January then awesome. The point was to have a schedule at all. I asked the room if anybody else had scheduling constraints and literally nobody said anything. I'm sorry if that looks like a conspiracy theory, but I'm not sure how much more transparent I could have been.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      What about glamor making use of Vulkan for the most difficult paths?
      That's a hard question to answer, because it relies on mistaken assumptions. As far as X acceleration is concerned, Vulkan isn't really any more expressive than GL. It's lower level and so potentially lower overhead, but it doesn't magically win you the ability to accelerate more paths, and it's not something you could just bolt onto the side of the existing glamor to handle "the most difficult paths".

I'd certainly like to see a glamor-on-vulkan (clever name suggestions appreciated), and if/when that happens we can reuse the GLSL from the existing glamor. But as far as I know nobody's currently working on it and it's not high on anybody's priority list.

Comment

Originally posted by nwnk View Post
        I'd certainly like to see a glamor-on-vulkan (clever name suggestions appreciated), and if/when that happens we can reuse the GLSL from the existing glamor. But as far as I know nobody's currently working on it and it's not high on anybody's priority list.
        You can call it Venus. Since she's Vulcan's wife (you know the Roman God).

Comment

Working...
        X