Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

No bricks here

I got my VBIOS through GPU-Z on Windows, fired up Maxwell II Bios Tweaker v1.36, set my default and boot clocks to my boost clocks (so now my GPU basically stays at 1038MHz at all times), saved the VBIOS, and flashed it with nvflash.

Only things to do now is to verify the boot clock is indeed 1038MHz (not sure to, but maybe nouveau will let me view my GPU clock? the default clock is 1038MHz, so at least that worked), and then to see how it handles.
    Yes.
    If you can get the vbios directly from your own card using GPU-Z, that's fine. Regular disclaimers still apply...
    The way you phrased it led me to believe you couldn't do that and were looking for a vbios online... don't do that.
    In my case (Lenovo Y50-70 with GTX960M), GPU-Z can't get the vbios cause it spart of system bios...

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

Most such tools just edit the tables that tell the driver what the levels are, without actually affecting the boot clocks that are initialized by the VBIOS. (A subtle point when you're using the blob driver, since it will read those tables on load and switch levels to one of the ones in those tables.) You can check in nouveau by looking at the "AC" line in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/*/pstate.
      Thanks for the info.

So, if I understand the situation with nouveau currently, there's no official re-clocking support with Maxwell. But some reading around seems to claim that Maxwell V1 and V2 has some kind of experimental re-clocking support (only accessible from some git branch?). Would anyone happen to have any kind of info on how to go about trying that?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This commit here seems related, but it's from a year ago, and the branch itself doesn't look much updated past that: https://github.com/karolherbst/nouve...65f18589a350ac

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        So, if I understand the situation with nouveau currently, there's no official re-clocking support with Maxwell. But some reading around seems to claim that Maxwell V1 and V2 has some kind of experimental re-clocking support (only accessible from some git branch?). Would anyone happen to have any kind of info on how to go about trying that?
        GM10x has reclocking starting with kernel 4.12.

GM20x will have reclocking potentially in the semi-near future for laptops without GPU-controlled fans (the rub is not that we can't reclock, it's that we can't control the fan), and desktops when NVIDIA releases signed PMU blobs redistributable in linux-firmware (probably never), or someone spends the time to figure out how to grab a copy of the PMU firmware their driver uploads (seems like a decent chance of that).

GP100+ will never have reclocking without a substantial shift in policy from NVIDIA, as *developing* the reclocking procedure in the first place requires a GPU that you can mess around with. With GM20x we're lucky in that it's the same memory controller as Kepler.

If you need reliable info, ask in #nouveau on irc.freenode.net or email [email protected]. Anything you read in a forum is more likely to be wrong than not. (Yes, I appreciate the irony of saying that in a forum post.)

Comment

Working...
        X