Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau's Meager Changes Queued Up In DRM-Next For Linux 4.14

Phoronix: Nouveau's Meager Changes Queued Up In DRM-Next For Linux 4.14

The changes for the Nouveau open-source NVIDIA driver are now queued in the DRM-Next tree as new material for Linux 4.14...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe the devs are on vacation

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
      Maybe the devs are on vacation
      or maybe not and that's why they can't do anything

Comment

Lets say I somehow get a hold of a custom VBIOS to force my boot clocks on Maxwell (970M) to max clocks; would nouveau be viable for any kind of gaming on that GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          Lets say I somehow get a hold of a custom VBIOS to force my boot clocks on Maxwell (970M) to max clocks; would nouveau be viable for any kind of gaming on that GPU?
          I don't believe so, because even if you do get your hands on a vbios, it'll probably be a part of your laptop's bios/uefi code, whatever. Therefore you have 99.99999999999999999999999999999% chance of bricking your laptop...

Comment

So what's stopping devs from doing auto reclocking for those cards that have support? Are they perfectionists trying to replicate blob behavior? Just reclock if GPU usage is > 1% and downclock if GPU usage is < 1%. What's so hard in doing that?

Comment

Not sure about NVidia details, but clock control and related power/thermal management is handled by a dedicated engine (processor) in most GPUs these days - I believe the microcode for that processor is what they are missing.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                So what's stopping devs from doing auto reclocking for those cards that have support? Are they perfectionists trying to replicate blob behavior? Just reclock if GPU usage is > 1% and downclock if GPU usage is < 1%. What's so hard in doing that?
                If every reclock has a 1% chance of hanging your GPU, then doing them by hand tends to not be a big deal. Doing them automatically runs up the odds against you pretty quickly. Also "GPU Usage" is not a trivial thing to measure.

Originally posted by bridgman
                Not sure about NVidia details, but clock control and related power/thermal management is handled by a dedicated engine (processor) in most GPUs these days - I believe the microcode for that processor is what they are missing.
                This is one of the issues on GPUs that require signed firmware -- NVIDIA won't release anythign redistributable, and it's impossible to develop our own not just because we can't upload our firmware, but also because the method of development largely relies on fuzzing the VBIOS to see what the blob does in response; with verified-everything, we can't do that anymore.

However on the GPUs that don't require signed firmware, we've developed our own firmware. Unfortunately the overall operation is just not 100% reliable, and we'd rather avoid crashing people's machines.

That said, there are patches from Karol which improve the situation somewhat, on the path to working dynamic reclocking. Just not in this pull.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I don't believe so, because even if you do get your hands on a vbios, it'll probably be a part of your laptop's bios/uefi code, whatever. Therefore you have 99.99999999999999999999999999999% chance of bricking your laptop...
                  No bricks here

I got my VBIOS through GPU-Z on Windows, fired up Maxwell II Bios Tweaker v1.36, set my default and boot clocks to my boost clocks (so now my GPU basically stays at 1038MHz at all times), saved the VBIOS, and flashed it with nvflash.

Only things to do now is to verify the boot clock is indeed 1038MHz (not sure to, but maybe nouveau will let me view my GPU clock? the default clock is 1038MHz, so at least that worked), and then to see how it handles.
                  Last edited by Guest; 24 August 2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

I got my VBIOS through GPU-Z on Windows, fired up Maxwell II Bios Tweaker v1.36, set my default and boot clocks to my boost clocks (so now my GPU basically stays at 1038MHz at all times), saved the VBIOS, and flashed it with nvflash.

Only things to do now is to verify the boot clock is indeed 1038MHz (not sure to, but maybe nouveau will let me view my GPU clock? the default clock is 1038MHz, so at least that worked), and then to see how it handles.
                    Most such tools just edit the tables that tell the driver what the levels are, without actually affecting the boot clocks that are initialized by the VBIOS. (A subtle point when you're using the blob driver, since it will read those tables on load and switch levels to one of the ones in those tables.) You can check in nouveau by looking at the "AC" line in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/*/pstate.

Comment

Working...
                    X