Radeon X.Org Driver Gets Fixed Up To Always Allow Page-Flipping With TearFree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leipero View Post

To be honest I do not mind tearing at all, especially at above 85Hz, it doesn't bother me, what does bother me is "microstutter", and all those techniques introduce it. For example, when you use vblank, and watch 23-30FPS video on 85+Hz display, you (or at least me lol) can notice that not all frames are presented with "same latency", so maybe 10 frames, or even 280 frames would be presented in similar latency between them, but every so often there would be a frame that would get maybe double the latency of "normal continuity" of other frames, that is something that for some reason brutally annoys me, I can't even describe how much it annoys me , and that is not teh case only on specific GPU's, CPU's and OS's, it's everywhere. So, solution is to disable vblank and just accept tear line appearing from time to time.
    I'd expect that you can still notice judder with tearing though, depending on where the tearing line between frames happens to be.

One solution for this is variable refresh rate (FreeSync).

[...] there's anotehr reason why i use DRI2, it's not X.Org related, but mutter related .
    What reason is that? I've been using gnome-shell with DRI3 ever since xf86-video-ati has supported DRI3 and haven't noticed any particular issues.

Comment

Working...
    X