No announcement yet.

Radeon X.Org Driver Gets Fixed Up To Always Allow Page-Flipping With TearFree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone thanks for replying and adding info. I added few more things. Maybe I should post this in the thread mentiond by pq1930562 . Would like to get confirmation, before posting...

bridgman thanks for replying. How many people were working on opensource vega driver? By reading phoronix, only few are mentioned regulary (mareko, agd5f, you,...)?

About Playstaion gpu - it should be GCN similar to radeon HD 7870, gcn 1.0. Is this correct? How about PS4-pro and new xbox - I read that microsoft designed much stronger Polaris chip with 40 CU
    Also, are AMD people restricted talking about chips that are made for parthers (xbox/ps)?

Anyway the new table.
    GFX index Fab GCN name1 GCN name2 short
    Name
    island name asic names »series« some models APU / CPU
    GFX6 28 nm GCN1 GCN 1.0 SI Southern Islands Oland Cape Verde Pitcairn Tahiti HD 7000 HD 7770, HD 7990, R7 250, R9 270, R9 370, R7 450
    GFX7 28 nm GCN2 GCN 1.1 CIK Sea Islands Bonaire Hawaii 200 HD 7790, HD 8770, R7 260 R9 290, R7 360, R9 390, R7 455 Kaveri / Steamroller
    GFX8 28 nm GCN3 GCN 1.2 VI Volcanic Islands Tonga, Fiji, Bonarie, Kabini 300 R9 285, R9 380, R9 FURY, R9 nano Carrizo / Excavator
    GFX8 14 nm GCN4 GCN 1.3 Arctic Islands Polaris (10, 11, 20, 21) 400 Polaris 10 (RX 480, RX 470), Polaris 11 (RX 460), polaris 20 (RX 580), polaris 21 (rx 560) Bristol Ridge / Excavator
    GFX9 14 nm GCN5 GCN 1.4 Arctic Islands Vega, Raven vega Vega 64, Vega 56 Raven Ridge / Zen

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Without more information about what you're doing that's "smoother and better", my guess would be it's because with EXA you only get horizontal tearing, whereas with glamor you get diagonal one, which is much more noticeable and annoying.

However, no tearing at all is even better than horizontal tearing. That's where TearFree comes in.
      To be honest I do not mind tearing at all, especially at above 85Hz, it doesn't bother me, what does bother me is "microstutter", and all those techniques introduce it. For example, when you use vblank, and watch 23-30FPS video on 85+Hz display, you (or at least me lol) can notice that not all frames are presented with "same latency", so maybe 10 frames, or even 280 frames would be presented in similar latency between them, but every so often there would be a frame that would get maybe double the latency of "normal continuity" of other frames, that is something that for some reason brutally annoys me, I can't even describe how much it annoys me , and that is not teh case only on specific GPU's, CPU's and OS's, it's everywhere. So, solution is to disable vblank and just accept tear line appearing from time to time.

Hope I did not managed to confuse you even more, but did clarify what i mean by "smoother and better", I might try TearFree again, but there's anotehr reason why i use DRI2, it's not X.Org related, but mutter related .

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        and does this effort pay out for amd?
        I think so. Getting started earlier allowed us to have drivers upstream before launch despite the size of the work required, and that in turn put us in better shape for Raven.

Testing on the emulator also helped us to be ready for silicon bringup and find HW issues during the narrow window between A0 silicon back and design freeze for A1 silicon (which is what actually shipped).

We didn't get far enough on the emulator with Vega10 to find and fix HW issues before A0 taped out, but I am trying to do that for the chips being worked on now.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
          Everyone thanks for replying and adding info. I added few more things. Maybe I should post this in the thread mentiond by pq1930562 . Would like to get confirmation, before posting...

bridgman thanks for replying. How many people were working on opensource vega driver? By reading phoronix, only few are mentioned regulary (mareko, agd5f, you,...)?

About Playstaion gpu - it should be GCN similar to radeon HD 7870, gcn 1.0. Is this correct? How about PS4-pro and new xbox - I read that microsoft designed much stronger Polaris chip with 40 CU
          Also, are AMD people restricted talking about chips that are made for parthers (xbox/ps)?

Anyway the new table.
          GFX index Fab GCN name1 GCN name2 short
          Name
          island name asic names »series« some models APU / CPU
          GFX6 28 nm GCN1 GCN 1.0 SI Southern Islands Oland Cape Verde Pitcairn Tahiti HD 7000 HD 7770, HD 7990, R7 250, R9 270, R9 370, R7 450
          GFX7 28 nm GCN2 GCN 1.1 CIK Sea Islands Bonaire Hawaii 200 HD 7790, HD 8770, R7 260 R9 290, R7 360, R9 390, R7 455 Kaveri / Steamroller
          GFX8 28 nm GCN3 GCN 1.2 VI Volcanic Islands Tonga, Fiji, Bonarie, Kabini 300 R9 285, R9 380, R9 FURY, R9 nano Carrizo / Excavator
          GFX8 14 nm GCN4 GCN 1.3 Arctic Islands Polaris (10, 11, 20, 21) 400 Polaris 10 (RX 480, RX 470), Polaris 11 (RX 460), polaris 20 (RX 580), polaris 21 (rx 560) Bristol Ridge / Excavator
          GFX9 14 nm GCN5 GCN 1.4 Arctic Islands Vega, Raven vega Vega 64, Vega 56 Raven Ridge / Zen

Thanks for making the APU generation matchup clearer than mine. But one correction I believe. The Bristol Ridge APU which is the process upgrade of Carrizo is a GCN 1.2 part NOT GCN 1.3. In other words....the integrated GPU in Bristol Ridge has some elements of Volcanic Islands' Tonga and Fiji. To the best of my knowledge ( and Bridgman can better confirm this ) Polaris tech GCN 1.3 is NOT part of Bristol Ridge. Bristol Ridge is just a process upgrade in order to get higher speeds but better power maintenance. Simply put it is a turbo charged Carrizo. Also...it is NOT a 14nm part but 28 nm same as Carrizo. Raven Ridge is the first 14nm APU based on Zen of course.

Also...it seems that AMD is going to fill out its CPU lineup this fall and winter by re-releasing Bristol Ridge APU's specifically for Desktops. I've got an HP desktop with a Bristol Ridge APU and it is VERY zippy ! So is my Lenovo Ideapad Laptop with a Bristol Ridge APU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            Thanks for making the APU generation matchup clearer than mine. But one correction I believe. The Bristol Ridge APU which is the process upgrade of Carrizo is a GCN 1.2 part NOT GCN 1.3. In other words....the integrated GPU in Bristol Ridge has some elements of Volcanic Islands' Tonga and Fiji.
            Correct - Bristol Ridge / Excavator should be up a row, along with Stoney Ridge.

BTW gsedej the GCN 1.x terminology started fading out after 1.2 IIRC, don't think it was used much after that, so GCN 1.3 / 1.4 should probably be blanked or greyed or N/A'ed...

Also Kabini, Mullins/Beema and Carrizo-L are GFX7 APUs - Kabini is currently in the GFX8 area of your table. Probably makes the most sense to merge your APU/CPU column contents into the "asic names" column, since Kaveri / Bristol etc.. are chip names while the product names are more like A10-7850.

Finally the whole "islands" thing gets blurry once we get into Vega territory - in most cases AI refers to Polaris but not to Vega.
            Last edited by bridgman; 18 August 2017, 08:53 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Everyone thanks for replying and adding info. I added few more things.
              Thanks a LOT for this. I have been trying to have a concise way of visualize it to have a better understanding. Bookmarked .

Comment

Please see answer to next question.

Yes, not only outside the company but even inside engineering we have hard NDA walls around semi-custom partner projects. Everything is code-named and most people outside the NDA wall don't even hear the code names.

So no, I won't be answering any game console questions here. And no we will not be publicly releasing Linux drivers for them either
                Last edited by bridgman; 19 August 2017, 01:24 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

gsedej franglais125 bridgman guys, ever heard of Wikipedia? There is
                  List of AMD graphics processing units
                  and
                  List of AMD accelerated processing unit microprocessors

hth...
                  Last edited by faph; 19 August 2017, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by faph View Post
                    Yes, i tried this before. But, as I said in a previous comment, what I like about that table is that it's **concise**. If I had to print out the wikipedia article, it would take 10+ pages.

Comment

About Playstaion gpu - it should be GCN similar to radeon HD 7870, gcn 1.0. Is this correct?
                      According to the video in http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Radeon-G3D-PS4 , it's "Bonaire".

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      So no, I won't be answering any game console questions here. And no we will not be publicly releasing Linux drivers for them either
                      Looks like you already have:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

?

Last edited by pq1930562; 20 August 2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X