Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big DRM Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.13

Phoronix: The Big DRM Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.13

David Airlie has submitted the staged Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver updates for the Linux 4.13 kernel merge window...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...13-DRM-Updates

Possible typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    There's also work on GuC/bost buffer-based communication and other low-level driver improvements.
    (the original post says "host")

Comment

Still no HDMI audio support for AMD Polaris? This is becoming ridiculous, as the hardware has been around for over a year now.

BTW: I've tried both amdgpu-pro and the DAL tree and neither had proper support for HBR audio. With amdgpu-pro I at least ended up with PCM 2.0 but the DAL tree was completely unusable (garbled screen). My good old HD 7850 could do this with ease and even my ancient Intel GPU has no issues at all with audio support (from day 1!). So why exactly does AMD fail to deliver proper audio support?

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
        Still no HDMI audio support for AMD Polaris? This is becoming ridiculous, as the hardware has been around for over a year now.

BTW: I've tried both amdgpu-pro and the DAL tree and neither had proper support for HBR audio. With amdgpu-pro I at least ended up with PCM 2.0 but the DAL tree was completely unusable (garbled screen). My good old HD 7850 could do this with ease and even my ancient Intel GPU has no issues at all with audio support (from day 1!).
        What do you mean by "DAL tree" ? Are you talking about amd-staging-4.11 ? If not, then that's what you should be using.

The only trees with "dal" in their name I could find in Alex's repo were all over a year old.

So why exactly does AMD fail to deliver proper audio support?
        It might just be a question of the branch you are using. Please test with amd-staging-4.11 and file/update bug tickets if audio isn't working work for you.
        Last edited by bridgman; 10 July 2017, 04:55 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

So why exactly does AMD fail to deliver proper audio support?
          They are trying to make these parts of their driver cross-platform (i.e. that is the same also on Windows), so it is taking them longer. This should allow them to save on resources while providing faster driver support in the future (as code is shared). Not unlike what NVIDIA does with their closed-source blob.

Intel and the older AMD card have a linux driver that does not share anything with Windows driver, but not sharing code means they have/had dedicated linux developer teams and usually this means the linux driver lags behind the Windows one.

And they changed name, it's not DAL anymore but DC. Maybe you are using the wrong repo?

Comment

@bridgman:
            I'm using amd-staging-4.11 with a RX480. On an older build some weeks/month ago I had DP-Audio. And on the next build it was gone. I tried new builds later on but audio never reappeared.
            Were can I file or update a bug report?

I see amd-staging-drm-next having display, and therefore DAL/DC? Based on kernel 4.12 and DRM from 4.13 and 4.14? So this is the next hot thing?

Comment

I've been using amd-staging-4.11 with an RX480 and found that while surround would work with HDMI, I could only get stereo through DisplayPort, so keep that in mind if you're testing.

Comment

Sounds like https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101222

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  Yes. That was me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
                    Were can I file or update a bug report?
                    https://bugs.freedesktop.org - product "DRI", component "DRM/AMDgpu"

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
                    I see amd-staging-drm-next having display, and therefore DAL/DC? Based on kernel 4.12 and DRM from 4.13 and 4.14? So this is the next hot thing?
                    Not sure about that one, maybe agd5f can give more colour. Probably our amd-staging tree rebased on latest drm-next as a prelude to moving our internal trees onto next kernel version but that's just a guess.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X