Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andre30correia
    replied
    nothing about windows guest drivers? they work like garbage in virtualbox and some times I need to use some adobe produts(infortunnelly) and a good 3d driver like in vmware was great

Leave a comment:

• michael-vb
    replied
    Originally posted by ehansin View Post
    Does this mean when running Linux as a VirtualBox guest we can now use Wayland? That would be awesome. Maybe this addresses something else, but if fixed that would be very cool.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13471
    Fedora 25 with Wayland was working as of shortly before its release date, though unfortunately without 3D acceleration. I am not sure whether it is still working - Fedora tends to be a moving target, even within releases. I hope that Hans's work will improve the situation.

Leave a comment:

• michael-vb
    replied
    Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
    Hans de Goede has taken the driver from 52,861 lines of code down to 7,275 lines

Whaaaaaaaaaat?????????????????????
    Most of that was header files which were being pulled in. Hans replaced the dependencies on VirtualBox header files with dependencies on kernel ones. We had actually started doing that ourselves with a view to upstream submission, but never found time to finish the job, so Hans's work was greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• RickXy
    replied
    I am not sure what RH's intent here is. They don't ship VBox in Fedora. Even we dropped VBox in Debian for Stretch. I'd have rather preferred RH invest in a more competitive UI for libvirt/qemu.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Hans de Goede has taken the driver from 52,861 lines of code down to 7,275 lines

This is just a guess, but I would imagine that the new helper functions in Linux KMS (/DRM?) layers are to blame for this.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by artyom.h31 View Post
    To be honest, most of the problems I was talking about are related to the Windows version. Sometimes a VM was not even been able to start. The window was permanently black and it was not possible to close it.
    I did have similar issues sometimes on my Win10 and win7 systems, but usually going through Task Manager, and terminate the process or the process tree from the process list (not from the application view) worked (right-click on the offending process and select "terminate process tree" or something like that) .
    In general I rarely manage to force application termination from application view of the Task Manager, that's a Windows thing.

I tried also VMWare workstation (from piratebay because the free Player cannot run 2 VM at once) and the fact I cannot have two different windows with VMs (so I can show one on a screen and one on the other) is a deal-breaker for me.

Leave a comment:

• mike44
    replied
    Does that mean to have finally full 3D acceleration?

Leave a comment:

• artyom.h31
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Could you define "quite unstable"? as I use it heavily (ver 5.1.22 SUSE) and I don't see any instability.
    To be honest, most of the problems I was talking about are related to the Windows version. Sometimes a VM was not even been able to start. The window was permanently black and it was not possible to close it. The only way to stop the VM was to reboot the computer.

Leave a comment:

• maffblaster
    replied

That was also my reaction: "Hoooooooow?"

Leave a comment:

• rastersoft
    replied
    BTW: it would be great to be able to use the same driver for QEMU/KVM...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X