VirtualBox DRM/KMS Graphics Driver Being Prepped For Mainline Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
    Does this mean when running Linux as a VirtualBox guest we can now use Wayland? That would be awesome. Maybe this addresses something else, but if fixed that would be very cool.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13471

Last time i tried you could run weston on it. It had its issues though.

Comment

I find this interesting. I thought that Virtualbox was a dying project. Not that it *is* dead, but in the process of dying. Perhaps I just got the wrong impression.

Anyway, I'd like to use Gnome Boxes, but last time I tried it didn't support multiple screens. And the GUI options were rather limited. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know how to do that

Comment

Originally posted by artyom.h31 View Post
        Good news. However, recent versions of VirtualBox are quite unstable in my experience, so I'm looking for an alternative.
        Could you define "quite unstable"? as I use it heavily (ver 5.1.22 SUSE) and I don't see any instability.

Comment

Hans de Goede has taken the driver from 52,861 lines of code down to 7,275 lines

Whaaaaaaaaaat?????????????????????

Comment

BTW: it would be great to be able to use the same driver for QEMU/KVM...

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
              Hans de Goede has taken the driver from 52,861 lines of code down to 7,275 lines

That was also my reaction: "Hoooooooow?"

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Could you define "quite unstable"? as I use it heavily (ver 5.1.22 SUSE) and I don't see any instability.
                To be honest, most of the problems I was talking about are related to the Windows version. Sometimes a VM was not even been able to start. The window was permanently black and it was not possible to close it. The only way to stop the VM was to reboot the computer.

Comment

Does that mean to have finally full 3D acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by artyom.h31 View Post
                    To be honest, most of the problems I was talking about are related to the Windows version. Sometimes a VM was not even been able to start. The window was permanently black and it was not possible to close it.
                    I did have similar issues sometimes on my Win10 and win7 systems, but usually going through Task Manager, and terminate the process or the process tree from the process list (not from the application view) worked (right-click on the offending process and select "terminate process tree" or something like that) .
                    In general I rarely manage to force application termination from application view of the Task Manager, that's a Windows thing.

I tried also VMWare workstation (from piratebay because the free Player cannot run 2 VM at once) and the fact I cannot have two different windows with VMs (so I can show one on a screen and one on the other) is a deal-breaker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

This is just a guess, but I would imagine that the new helper functions in Linux KMS (/DRM?) layers are to blame for this.

Comment

Working...
                      X