Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Significant Update To DRI3 Proposed

Phoronix: The First Significant Update To DRI3 Proposed

Collabora, under sponsorship from Intel, has been working on "DRI3 v1.1" as the first major update to the Direct Rendering Infrastructure 3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Couldn't they just call it DRI3.1?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Couldn't they just call it DRI3.1?
      no, they couldn't

Comment

DRI is only used by X.Org and in October the new Ubuntu 17.10 is out probably with Wayland by default.
        So don't need DRI or X.Org anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          DRI is only used by X.Org and in October the new Ubuntu 17.10 is out probably with Wayland by default.
          Nope, XWayland makes use of DRI, and XWayland is still mega-important for the boatload of games and applications which do not (and may not ever) support Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

no, they couldn't
            Why not

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              That's funny.
              Completely wrong, but funny.

I'm going to go with the official statements from the Wayland project -- that expressly state that they are using the DRI and DRM graphics infrastructure -- about the matter instead of what you said:
              Wayland is not really duplicating much work. Where possible, Wayland reuses existing drivers and infrastructure. One of the reasons this project is feasible at all is that Wayland reuses the DRI drivers, the kernel side GEM scheduler and kernel mode setting. Wayland doesn't have to compete with other projects for drivers and driver developers, it lives within the X.org, mesa and drm community and benefits from all the hardware enablement and driver development happening there.

Comment

Off topic.. is there any input lag comparison between Xorg and Gnome/KDE on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
                  Off topic.. is there any input lag comparison between Xorg and Gnome/KDE on Wayland?
                  There's slight difference between X.org and Wayland in Gnome as far as i can tell, de[ending on hardware, for example, on my machine wayland tends to "stop" mouse while loading some window, when using "Applications menu" extension, when browsing through menus mouse lags a bit in some sections. Gnome have implemented wayland support far more than any other DE, so i can only assume things are worse on other DE's. In games, there's slight difference while using wine, some games have a bit of input lag under wayland, but it's also hardware dependent, so all of this may not apply to you, and may work better than X.Org for you.

On topic, great news, hopefully I would finally switch to DRI3 and glamor, for now DRI2/EXA combination is much better for my hardware configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

There's slight difference between X.org and Wayland in Gnome as far as i can tell, de[ending on hardware, for example, on my machine wayland tends to "stop" mouse while loading some window, when using "Applications menu" extension, when browsing through menus mouse lags a bit in some sections. Gnome have implemented wayland support far more than any other DE, so i can only assume things are worse on other DE's. In games, there's slight difference while using wine, some games have a bit of input lag under wayland, but it's also hardware dependent, so all of this may not apply to you, and may work better than X.Org for you.
                    Thanks for the info. Maybe Michael will make an input lag benchmark comparison some time.

Comment

Working...
                    X